Skip to main content

Hello,

I experience massive problems with my beam gen 2 when watching Multichannel PCM 5.1 content.
While Multichannel PCM 5.1 content is playing I get crackling and popping sounds out of the beam sporadically but constant.
The issue occurs with Multi PCM 5.1 format only.
No issues at all With Dolby Atmos / Dolby TrueHD / DTS / Stereo / Dolby Digital.

I tested Multichannel PCM 5.1 Content with:
Apple TV 4k -> Cracklings and pops
PS5 -> Cracklings and pops

What i’ve tried:
Changed HDMI Cables -> no effect
Tried different settings in the sonos app -> no effect
Restarted everything -> no effect
changed sonosnet channels -> no effect

My Setup:
Philips OLED807 Series
Beam gen 2 with two surround speakers
Settings: Multichannel bypass on TV with eARC turned on
Sonos connected over ethernet

Here I have a diagnostics code: 412271189

There are other people on the forums who experience the same issues, so i think its more of a software problem rather then a hardware issue. Some say that this problem occurred after a sonos update, but i cannot verify this.
The problem is easily reproducible.

Good to know that we are on the same page.

Philips just asked me to to reinitialize the TV as factory and try again.

I have tried that so many times. It makes no difference sadly

Arcana HDFury 4k

Hello Dears, i did even better, I used an HDFury 4k and I detected no cracks at all.
Thus issue do not come from Sonos but from Philips.

Philips asked me about a video, see what I will share on this link: http://gofile.me/6Z9LO/huG0E7BUG
Do you experience the same?

Yeah same crackle here. That proves it's the Phillips eARC implementation. 

With PS5 and McPCM 7.1/5.1 you just need to boot PS5 and listen to the background theme, don't even need to scroll the menu or start something else. Crackle will keep popping up. 

FYI: https://www.avforums.com/threads/philips-oled806-sound-is-buggy-combined-with-sonos-arc.2374409/page-16#post-30933151

We are not the only ones and apparentl,y issue appears with Samsung also. However on Samsung they have “cuts” and Sonos has cracles… 

Amazing… 

Hi @ntx et al

We now recommend you reach out to the TV manufacturer (LG) as this behaviour is also occurring with different soundbar manufacturers (so it’s not a Sonos-specific issue).

Alternatively, please utilize different audio formats from McLPCM 5.1 (e.g., McLPCM 7.1, DD+, etc).

I hope this helps.

Dear Corry,

Thank you for your feedback.

Indeed, from the experiment I did with a FuryArc it was quite clear that the issue comes from the TV Manufacturer.

Same player, same media, same cable, same sound settings with a FuryArc doing the Audio no sound issue whereas with TV doing it, a lot of cracks for all PCM above 5.1. (shield, PS5, etc)

In my case it’s a Philips 65OLED807 and they are reviewing this for months now without feedback…

With the Shield if I activate Dolby system, then the PCM 5.1 goes to DD+ 2.0. So to go around this I transcode each of my AAC5.1 medias with ffmpeg to DD+5.1 and since then it’s working. without issues.

Hope this get resolved soon.

Have a good week-end

It's been a while, and I wanted to keep you updated on my progress with this issue and with Philips customer service. Going back two months, I called them and had a nice conversation with an adviser who sent me an email to which I could respond. I described the issue in great detail, including testing my equipment on two different kinds of TVs, using various cables, and borrowing an Arcana to separate the sound. I also included a video of the issue happening at the beginning of John Wick 4. They responded by sending me a utility download, which I had to install on a USB stick and put in into the TV. All events would be automatically recorded. I did this and responded through email. On the 19th of July, I contacted them for an update and received the following:They respondied with a utility download that I had to install on a USB stick and insert into the TV. It would automatically log all events. I did this and emailed them back. On the 19th July I chased them for an update and I received this:

“ Thank you for the information provided and for your patience. We have requested an update on this case, there seems to be a Software glitch, and we are actively working on a resolve. We will contact you as soon as possible to provide further information. “

Following this, I checked the status of my case and discovered that it had been altered to closed, so I called them. "HDMI is very complicated, and there will always be problems," was the comment I received. "We're looking into it". I questioned why my case had been closed, but they didn't respond and ended the conversation.

I love my Philips TV, yet it bothers me that I regret purchasing it. Personally, I don't think they'll be able to solve it. He kept telling me it was software, not hardware, yet this had been reported to them for months.

Same here. Crackling pops with Multichannel PCM sound. OLED806 and Sonos ARC.

Still no hopes for a fix?