Answered

connectivity

• 14 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello there!

I would like to ask to anyone knowing about the setup that I intend to have.

My setup would be as follows: 2 Sonos  five working with a projector connected to either an Apple TV or a fire tv cube.

The questions are how do I connect the stereo pair to either of the systems?

would there be delay playing movies?

For the 2 sonos to work as a stereo would I need to have the sonos port to connect the directly via cable to the projector?

should I connect both Sonos via Ethernet cable to the internet?

thank you so much

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 14 February 2024, 12:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

To avoid lip sync, Sonos recommend using one of their sound bars as the Sonos lead device connected to your video source.  There is no way that you can avoid the lag caused by the two Sonos Five’s buffering the audio to enable multi room playback.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/home-theater

The Sonos Port is normally used to connect other Audio devices like a Turntable rather than an Audio Visual device.

Thank you for your fast reply!

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but your reply still leaves me with doubts.

when you say to have a Sonos bar as a lead device you mean basically not getting the 2 Sonos and get a bar? Is the bar really a match for 2 Sonos five?.

then you mention the lag of the fives buffering for a multi-room service, but I never mentioned multi room, I only have one room. Can you clarify that concept?

the thing is that as of now I have 2 echo studios with the sub connected to a fire tv cube and a projector and they work seamlessly. I was looking for a better sound system (even though I’m happy with the studios) but the room now is 4 times the size, that’s why.

how come the studios work fine no lag and these fives which are premium would have a lag?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for your fast reply!

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but your reply still leaves me with doubts.

No need to apologise, we all started off new to Sonos at some point in time. :)

when you say to have a Sonos bar as a lead device you mean basically not getting the 2 Sonos and get a bar? Is the bar really a match for 2 Sonos five?.

Two Sonos 5’s that are setup as a stereo pair are fantastic for playing music, your issue is that the lip sync will probably make watching audio visual output very disjointed.  If you went for the Arc sound bar, I would say that it is a match for the two Sonos Play 5’s.

then you mention the lag of the fives buffering for a multi-room service, but I never mentioned multi room, I only have one room. Can you clarify that concept?

Because Sonos is essentially a multi-room audio system, all Sonos devices, except the sound bars, will create a buffer from whatever source you select.  This is to ensure that when/if you use a multi-room setup, the system can ensure that all devices play in sync. 

This will happen regardless of the number of rooms that you currently have.  When playing Music, the listener is completely oblivious to this but with an audio visual output, the video will play as broadcast by the source but the audio will be delayed by 3-5 ms.

the thing is that as of now I have 2 echo studios with the sub connected to a fire tv cube and a projector and they work seamlessly. I was looking for a better sound system (even though I’m happy with the studios) but the room now is 4 times the size, that’s why.

how come the studios work fine no lag and these fives which are premium would have a lag?

The Echo studios were initially designed or at least marketed as a single room device, with multi room playing being introduced later in the product life cycle.  The quality of the Sonos multi room play back is, in my opinion, the best available on the market without spending multiple thousands of £ or $.  Different systems use different approaches to achieve this capability and I don’t personally know how Echo Studio’s would work in my scenario of having 10-12 rooms playing in sync.