Answered

connection

• 29 April 2023
  • 6 replies

I have a sonos sounder connected to a samsung tv and a sonos zone player.  We also have two speakers in the ceiling.  The speakers will connect to the sonos app and play and the sounder will play what is on the tv.  However, I can’t get the sounder and speakers to connect and play together for a surround sound.  Help.  This is an existing system in a new home, but I have reset everything.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 May 2023, 14:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Is a ‘sounder’ a sound bar of some type? 

If so, you would need to go in to the room for this sound bar, and use the ‘add surrounds’ process, as explained in this FAQ:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater?

Please don’t reset anything further, it tends to make things more difficult. 

I don’t know why after I posted it changed every sound bar to sounder.   Thanks, I will try it tomorrow. 

Ok.  I was able to reset sound bar and add it to the Sonos app.  Then I created a theater group.  It shows as added. Originally my tv played from the sound bar and music from all played from two wired speakers in the ceiling.  Now everything plays from the sound bar, but nothing plays from the two back speakers that are wired into my zone amp 

Ok, is it just music that’s not coming from the ceiling speakers? TV Dolby Digital surround information should be working. 

For music playback, go into the settings for the ‘surround’ speakers, and change the playback from ‘ambient’ to ‘full’, which will make those ceiling speakers a normal stereo pair, rather than just support for what the Arc is doing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MamaSteph 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When using Connect:Amp as surrounds, both your Arc and your Connect:Amp need to be wired to the network with ethernet or the Arc will be unable to send the Connect:Amp the audio (Connect:Amp doesn’t have a 5GHz radio, which is how other units would receive it).

Alternatively, you can ethernet-wire the two devices to each other, but for this to work there must be another Sonos device (not Era models) ethernet-wired to the network elsewhere.

The only other options are to replace the Connect:Amp with an Amp, or with a pair of stand-alone speakers.

I hope this helps.

After taking the speakers out of a stereo group they both started working independently again, bit wouldn’t play the same music or tv at the same time.  It turned out I had to go into the app for whatever music I am playing and then select both speaker groups.   I can now get music through the ceiling speakers and the sound bar.   Still no luck with tv surround, but the music was our biggest concern.