Connecting Sonos Ray with Denon AVR-S970H 5 ceiling speakers and sub

• 20 April 2024
  • 3 replies

I just bought a Sonos Ray to compliment a newly purchased Denon AVR-S970H, five in ceiling speakers and a sub woofer.  I cannot figure out how to incorporate the newly bought Ray into my existing surround sound set-up.  I tried connecting the optical cord to the AVR, but both optical ports on the AVR are input, not output.

I am not an audiophile, so I need some help.  Both Sonos and Denon CSR’s were not helpful.

Can I connect the Ray to the AVR via HEOS or Wi-Fi?

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Rexstrickland

What you are thinking of won‘t work at all. The two devices are incompatible and each has its own purpose. Sonos Ray is a soundbar made to connect to a tv or another source like a pc. You can use it together with other Sonos speakers for multiroom or to set up a surround setup with sub and rearspeakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Apart from the problems connecting the Ray to the Denon, it looks like you were planning to use the Ray as a center speaker, which it is not. It is a soundbar so also has FL and FR speakers built in. I’d advise you to look at a dedicated center speaker. Since you’re using in ceiling speakers for the rest of your set up, a good center is needed to get the dialogue from any sources right.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve come to realize that it won’t work and I sending it back. Thanks!