Skip to main content
Answered

Connecting problems: Playbar, Sub (Gen 2), Play:1 * 2

• 19 December 2023
  • 38 replies

Have a whole bunch of Sonos stuff, everything has been working fine but now something has happened. Can't get SUB & Play:1 to work with playbar.

If I make a stereo pair of Play:1 it works perfectly with or without sub, if I connect sub to any other speakers it works fine but if I try to connect them to playbar it doesn't work. Have reset and reinstalled tons of times. It refuses to work however the Playbar as it is also works without problems.

(Before, I use a network cable but after I talked to sonos support, now all speakers are on WIFI)

Searched the Sonos forum found others with the same problem but nowhere have I found how to solve it, does anyone here have any good tips before all the hair is gone :-)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Make sure you have wifi enabled on your Playbar. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Do a complete system reset. Power down all Sonos devices and your router. After a couple of minutes, restart router. When it’s fully restarted and wifi running, start the Playbar. When it’s fully started, start your other speakers, one at a time. Then try adding Sub to Playbar. 

The router is probably refusing to issue an IP address to the Sub. Either revert to a wired connection or change the router. 

Badge

Thanks, WIFI are enabled, Sub work with all other speakers and have IP address, have restarted all speakers and router when i Talked to sonos support for hours :) And Sonos support recomend not use wire (RJ45)  It have worked for years an just stop working few days ago have not done any updates to router or sonos for a while 

Badge

Have also reinstall the app on my phone 

In a home theatre setup the Sub connects differently, via the master player. If the master player is on WiFi some routers have a problem with this. 

If the router is from your ISP don't overlook the possibility that it could have received an automatic firmware update. 

Badge

I have my own ASUS and it have worked for a long time and sonos support have also looked into the settings in the router :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks, WIFI are enabled, Sub work with all other speakers and have IP address, have restarted all speakers and router when i Talked to sonos support for hours :) And Sonos support recomend not use wire (RJ45)  It have worked for years an just stop working few days ago have not done any updates to router or sonos for a while 

Did you do the sequenced restart I recommended, or restart everything together? 
And, if it was convenient to have wired connection, why not stay wired?

Badge

Yes I have done this in sequense, about the Wire it was what sonos says. I have an idea, I have another router, thinking about configurate whole new standalone network, reinstall all speakers from scratch and see what it will bring. 

I have my own ASUS and it have worked for a long time and sonos support have also looked into the settings in the router :(

Okay, that shouldn’t object. If you reinstate the wired connection to the Playbar do the surrounds and sub connect okay?

Badge

No with or with out wire will not have any effect, same problem 

In that case submit a diagnostic, note the number and ask Sonos Support to take a look. The Playbar’s 5GHz radio may have failed.

Badge

I have talked to sonos support for hours and sent them lots of diagnostic nothing came out of it  

Those guys tend to work from scripts. Did you specifically ask whether the 5GHz radio was okay or not? It’s quite a rare failure. 

If you want to submit a fresh diag and post the number here, one of the community guys may be able to take a quick peek.

Badge

If you can find anything 🙏 i have sent diagnostic now nr: 1322285785

And yes, they use script and it's so annoying when you need to go thru f___ing step every time you talk to them :) 

And for info, Now I have wired the system again via one of my play:1

If you can find anything 🙏

Well I can’t, but I’ve asked if anyone with access to the diags can take a look.

Now I have wired the system again via one of my play:1

Okay, but that shouldn’t be necessary as your router ought to be behaving itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

If you can find anything 🙏 i have sent diagnostic now nr: 1322285785

And yes, they use script and it's so annoying when you need to go thru f___ing step every time you talk to them :) 

And for info, Now I have wired the system again via one of my play:1

You need to wire the Playbar rather than a(n intended) surround. Is wireless enabled on all of the speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It seems your Playbar is experiencing significant amounts of interference - I think reducing this will at least help.

I recommend you move as many devices away from the Playbar as you can - obviously the TV needs to stay close by, but if the router is near it, that would be an issue. I recommend 1m separation between it and other WiFi/radio-enabled devices.

I also noticed that Sonosnet is on channel 11 while your WiFi is on channel 7 - these channels overlap. I recommend you change your WiFi channel to either 1 or 6, or, if you can’t do that, change Sonosnet to channel 1: Settings » System » Network » SonosNet Channel » 1. Please make sure there are no devices missing from your Sonos app when you do this, or they will stay missing.

More importantly, the Playbar also seems to be the only device on your system that received the most recent update, and things can often go very wrong when speakers are not all on the same firmware version. Please go to Settings » System » System  Updates » Check for Updates to get the rest of the system updated.

Finally, it seems that the last advice from the team given to you was to factory reset your Asus router - Asus themselves recommend that you do this if experiencing issues after a firmware update, so I highly recommend that you try this step if all of the above fails, as the router seems to be refusing to assign IP addresses to your surrounds and Sub when they connect via the Playbar (proxy DHCP).

I hope this helps.

It sounds like it was a case of “Other than that, how was the play?”. 😉

Badge

many thanks, w have tried to use channel 11 on both router and sonos, will not help can go back to channel 11 anyway, I don't have any wifi next to the playbar. About the firmware, The system are updated and I don't understand why playbar have another version, sonos support team couldn't understand it either. Anyway the system says its up to date when i search för updates. I will try to turn my 5Ghz off and onlu use 2,4 and se it it will affekt in some way. Next step are to move sonos to a dedicted router with own wifi and reset all devices for a fresh setup. What du you thing about this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

Apologies - please ignore the part about updates. Apparently a patch was released for Playbar while I was on holiday, so it’s normal that it has higher software version than the other units.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

If you have a spare router, it would definitely be a good step to try to see if you do indeed need to reset your Asus router.

Badge

@Corry P 

Hi Corry. Now I have disconnected and turned all routers at home off. I started from scratch and reinstalled the whole system start with Sonos:1 connected with wire to another ASUS Router which was hard ware resetted. After that i connected the playbar whitch was succesful, after that i connect the SUB and still the same problem the App froze and configuration failes. It will not work. I have used ASUS RT-AC66U B1, first I try to install with the settings out of the box, when that failed, I configurate the router according Sonos instructions, still same problem the playbar and sub will not work togheter (I tryed several times with the same result). Now I have reinstalled the whole system from scratch again with my regular router everythinw works as before except  "playbar, sub, and surrounds" Now I have paired sourround speakers and connect them to the sub and it works fine. So Now i have spent a bunch of houres with sonos support i have tried to use another router hardware restored, I have talked to ASUS support and they dont think this is a router related problem when all other spekaers works. They says when its probem with sonos and asus the problem is to connect to sonos overall not to just some speakers. 

Any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @peter1967 

I can’t see your router’s settings so please forgive me if you’ve already tried them, but these steps may help:

Resolution

Using the Router's web interface:

1. Open a web browser, enter the URL: http://router.asus.com
  2. On the login page, enter the router's admin username and password.
  3. From the left side menu bar, click on AiProtection > Parental Controls > Time Scheduling.
  4. Turn off "Enable Block All Devices"

If that does not help, please try: 

Resolution

2. Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.

3. Select the IPTV tab.

4. Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)

5. Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.

6. Select the Professional tab.

7. Enable IGMP Snooping.

And if that fails, please try:

Resolution

2. Under Advanced Settings, click Wireless.

3. Click the Professional tab.

4. Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.

5. Change the Frequency to 5GHz.

6. Disable Airtime Fairness and click Apply.

Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to perform all three in one go. It may help to reboot speakers and/or the router after applying these changes.

I hope this helps.