Answered

connecting portable projector to home theatre

• 23 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

i have a silly question :)

i have a portable projector. Halo xgimi+ which has an aux port. Due to my room layout i can only place the portable projector close to my rear speakers which are era 100’s. 

So the question is, if connect the projector via aux cable to my era 100 via sonos cable (usb-c to aux) would that allow me to use the whole home theatre system?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 24 April 2024, 11:11

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @arslanelver 

Thanks for your post!

That is not going to work, I’m afraid - when speakers are assigned as surrounds, they lose the ability to accept line-in inputs as they basically become secondary to the home theatre primary device, which tells them what to do/play.

You would need to either add another speaker (with line-in) to your system, or remove the Era 100s you have set up as surrounds from your Beam’s room and have them operate independently (not that I recommend these solutions as line-in comes with a minimum of 75ms of delay that will mess with lip-sync).

A better option (depending on your room arrangement and equipment used) might be to purchase a third-party HDMI audio extractor - fit it between your source device (Blu-Ray player, Android box, Apple TV etc) and the projector, then connect your Beam to the output of the extractor via the optical adaptor that came with the Beam. This will avoid the input delays I mentioned above. I can’t recommend any particular devices, but a search for “HDMI audio extractor optical” should produce a good amount of choice.

If, on the other hand, you don’t intend to use an external source device with the projector, it’s product page says it supports eARC, so you could connect your Beam directly to it (Beam (Gen 2) supports eARC, but the original Beam does not - you may need to deactivate eARC mode on the projector). This is assuming the projector can be both close to the Beam and produce a sufficiently sized picture, of course. A long HDMI cable should work otherwise.

A Bluetooth audio link to a Sonos speaker should also be possible, but, again, that speaker cannot be configured as a surround sound speaker for this to work

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

There are some interesting design choices on that projector: 😏

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

sorry i was away for the last few days! thanks for your reply :)