Answered

Connecting Playbar to older TV

• 3 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a 2013 Magnavox television (Model 46ME313V/F7) and would like to connect a Sonos Playbar to it.  We moved into a new home w/ 2 of these Playbars months ago and have only used them for streaming music so far.  On the side of the tv are ports for HDMI, USB, and headphones, and this is a photo of the back of the tv.  I assume that I would need to somehow connect the Playbar to the Digital Audio Output.  Can someone tell me how to work this out?  What cables/ adapters I will need?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 January 2021, 21:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’d think so. 

Thanks. I did look in the tv manual and it will pass the Dolby Digital signal our of that port.  So… found this and it seems as though it should work.  I will need a cable from the adapter to the audio jack in the tv, bur… could it have been this easy?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coax-Coaxial-RCA-To-Optical-Toslink-SPDIF-Digital-Audio-Signal-Converter-Adapter/573270616

What do you think?  After delaying this process for months because I really had no idea what to do, will this work?

You’d need some sort of digital coax to optical adapter. I’d start by searching on Amazon to see what’s there, and then look at a local electronics store, once I was more familiar as to what might be available...or just buy from Amazon. You do need to be sure that the TV will pass a Dolby Digital signal out through that digital coax port. Should be somewhere in the manual for the TV.