Answered

Connecting Beam via ADC from RCA out

• 18 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I am trying to connect a Gen 1 Beam to an older style display monitor that has analog RCA out (and no HDMI ARC), to an Analog to Digital Converter to the small digital audio TOSlink/HDMI adapter (that comes with the Beam) to HDMI cable into the Beam. 

Display RCA Out => ADC convertor => Beam digital audio/HDMI adapter cable => HDMI cable => Beam

No success.

I definitely have an RCA out signal from the display. I have tested this by connecting directly to an old Receiver.

The Beam setup does not find the signal.

Has anyone successfully used this configuration? There are no success (or unsuccessful stories) I can find online.

I can’t understand why it wouldn’t work (however messy it may seem).  The older style display monitor is of excellent quality and is a shame I can’t use my Beam with it for some decent sound.  I use an Amazon Firestick in the Display to stream Netflix, Prime, Spotify and the local terrestrial TV channels that are available via each station’s App installed to the Firestick.  It’s almost a perfect integration of old & new if only I could get the Beam to detect the converted RCA analog to digital audio signal via the TOSlink connector.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 December 2022, 04:28

View original

2 replies

If you have choice of audio output format by your analog → TOSLINK converter, pick ‘stereo’.

Thanks for the earlier suggestion, there was no option there - the output is in stereo regardless, and, incidentally is output to both the TOSLINK and digital coax simultaneously on the ADC.

Amazingly I managed to get this configuration working!

I found through much manipulation, trial and errror, exchange of HDMI cables and some luck, that there must have been some interference generated at the rear of the display monitor.  When I moved my HDM cable to the side rather than directly behind the display monitor I got an audio out signal and my Beam worked.

This didn’t make a lot of sense to me as the HDMI carries a digital signal, and all HDMI cables I used were of reasonable quality with good RF shielding, yet they were prone to interference at the rear of the display monitor.

I pondered why this was the case but in the end just appreciated the configuration now works!