Answered

Connecting Beam To TV

• 3 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I had a beam gen 1 that i was trying to use on the TV that came with my apartment. I had it with surrounds and i was trying to get it to play 5.1 audio to no avail. When i looked online it said to check on the tvs settings what audio format it would come out as but there is no option for this. For reference it’s a techwood tv i searched the model number online and there was no info about it at all. The beam was connected via hdmi arc. I sold the beam gen 1 as in the end i had to use a different tv with it to work in surround sound but now i need that other tv back and i was wanting to try and get a gen 2 beam or arc. I was wondering is there any point in me buying a gen 2 if i can’t get surround sound to work on the tv or if anyone know how to get it to work.

Edit: I have an apple tv connected to the tv as well and i was wondering if there was a way that i can connect it just to that with an adapter of some sort? i just want to be able to get surround sound via the techwood tv.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 September 2023, 03:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What brand/model is the TV set?

In general, the Beam would connect to the HDMI port labeled ARC or eARC. All the other inputs to the TV would connect to the other HDMI inputs.

Hi,

The tv is a techwood 40AO8FHD it has a HDMI arc port but the tv is quite primitive so there isn’t very many options on the tv settings and there is no option for audio type on it.

Interesting, I’ve never heard of this TV…but if it has ARC built in, that’s a standard by the CEC consortium. You should be, as I suggested, connecting your Beam to the port labeled ARC, and all other devices to the other inputs.

Hi,

I am connecting it to the arc port but it is not allowing me to use 5.1. Do you know how i can resolve this?

Not offhand, you’d need to post a link to a manual, which I don’t seem to find online. The highest chance is the source itself (cable box, whatever you’re feeding the TV with), isn’t set up properly, or it’s not passing communications properly. Normally speaking CEC/ARC is supposed to be publishing the capabilities of the audio sink to all devices up the chain. It’s controlled by a computer that runs in the TV set, not the Sonos, it’s possible you need to update that software in the TV. 

You may be best to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network. Where as I’m merely guessing. 

Hi i managed to fix it, there as a setting saying what audio type out in the to and setting it to compressed fixed it.