Skip to main content

Hi all.

Just joined this forum. I’m hoping someone can help with my question. I am about to embark on a home renovation project. I have a Sonos Arc that I want to be able to switch between either a Samsung OLED TV and a BENQ W1800 4K projector.

The TV and projector both have eArc

Would i need some kind of device to switch between the inputs to the Sonos Arc?

Hi all.

Just joined this forum. I’m hoping someone can help with my question. I am about to embark on a home renovation project. I have a Sonos Arc that I want to be able to switch between either a Samsung OLED TV and a BENQ W1800 4K projector.

The TV and projector both have eArc

Would i need some kind of device to switch between the inputs to the Sonos Arc?

No, not exactly. First, the simple solution.  Sonos Arc can be used with an optical connection, which gives you surround sound, but no atmos.  If you do this you would just need an HDMI matrix that can output to two sources and an optical  audio output for the Arc.  It’s an option, but not the best or what I would recommend.

Second solution uses an HDMI-ARC/eARC connection for the audio.  This is a two way connection between your TV or projector and the Sonos Arc.  Because it’s two way, you can’t just flip a switch between TV and projector, assuming both those device even have HDMI-ARC/eARC ports. The Arc needs to be getting audio, and communicating with the same device every time. So to get around this issue, and to get audio with any TV/projector that is not ARC/eARC,  There are devices like HD Fury Arcana that act as a device in the middle between a source (cable, streaming box, console), your sink (TV/projector), and the Arc.  If you have multiple sources or sinks, then you would need an HDMI switch before or after the Arcana.

There are some new devices that do the same thing as the Arcana, some combining with HDMI switching.  Here’s an example, but that would not work for you since it won’t allow you to switch outputs.  This would be what you need, but probably too pricy with more features than you need. A combination of the devices would probably be most effective.

Thank you so much for responding - i really appreciate that

I see the Arcana has one HDMI input, so like you say if i have multiple sources, i’d need some kind of switch/matrix before the Arcana. Is there any spec, capability and/or brand of matrix that i ought to be looking at? I can see loads on Amazon so its a bit a minefield!

Similarly, on the other side of the Arcana, i can see that one (audio) output would go to the Arc. The remaining (video) HDMI output would need to be switched between the projector and TV. Again, is there any kind or type of switch i should be aiming for?

Sorry for the questions. With the reno work starting soon, im keen to make sure i run the right wires to the right places between the Arcana, Projector and TV!

Cheers,

Hi - I’m in a similar position as OP and am stuck at handling the HDMI from the Arcana.

1. There are 1:2 (1 input, 2 output) hdmi switches available. Would I connect the HDMI out from Arcana to the input on this switch and then connect the output to the TV and projector?

2. Sonos is a bit finicky with networking etc. and there are multiple hops here (hdmi switch for input, Arcana, hdmi switch at output etc). Does it handle all this cleanly without lags etc?

Thanks!!

Hi Deepster, Did you ever resolve this issue.  I have the same, a BenQ x3000i and a QLED television.  Both nave eArc and I have a Sonos Arc with the Sub and Era 300 surrounds.  As of now I have to physically switch the cables when I want to watch movies on the projector.  I have been asking this question for a month, but have not found a solution wherein Dolby Atmos is passed through a matrix.  Thank you for any help.

John