connecting an epson ls800 to an ARC with Apple Tv for Atmos

• 13 January 2024
  • 4 replies

I’m trying to get the Atmos sound going thru my Sonos system. I have an Arc and era300 rear speakers, but all I’m getting is Dolby Digital 5.1.  The Epson doesn’t have eArc just Arc.  Is this going to prevent me from getting Atmos sound out of the system?  I’ve connected the Epson arc output (hdmi2) to the Sonos soundbar and the Apple tv to the hdmi1. I’ve turned on the Arc setting in the Epson settings for hdmi2.  I’m still just getting Dolby Digital 5.1 even though I know I’m sending an Atmos signal from the AppleTv??  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Because the Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT to play Dolby Atmos audio, you need a projector or TV equipped with eARC. You should consider getting an eARC adapter like the HDFury Arcana.

Thanks for the response. So a $300 device is the only way I’m going to get Atmos even though my projector has hdmi-ARC?  I thought I’d seen someone else who sounded like they got there’s working by messing with the settings. I was hoping it was going to be that easy. I’m not a techy when it comes to some of this stuff. How hard is it for a newbie to connect the HDFury Arcana?  It looks like it has a settings screen itself. I was hoping it was plug and play. Just plug the hdmi from the Epson projector into the HDFury and that into the Sonos Arc. :(

Userlevel 7

The Arcana is basically plug and play. There might be a couple of settings that you should change on the Arcana (especially turning off the on-screen display as it is distracting).

Connecting the Arcana is simple. The Arc connects to the Arcana’s eARC OUT. The projector connects to the Arcana’s HDMI OUT. The Apple TV connects to the Arcana’s HDMI IN.

Thanks so much guitarsuperstar!!  I’ve got it ordered and hopefully will be good to go by next weekend.  Can’t wait to hear the difference with the Atmos actually working.