Skip to main content
Answered

Connecting Amp and Beam to TV

• 29 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Hoping to gain some insight on how to set up my system. I currently have a Sonos Amp powering 2 Klipsch in ceiling speakers in my family room. I use it primarily to stream music but also use the speakers occasionally through the TV. The speakers play through the Line In input on the Amp that is connected to my Xfinity box.

However, I just purchased a Beam soundbar to use with my tv as well. I connected this to to the TV via HDMI ARC.

So, when I play the TV through the Beam and also turn on the ceiling speakers, there is a noticeable delay in the ceiling speakers. I suspect it is because they are playing through line in.

Any advice on how I should set this all up to work correctly? I see a bunch of literature saying this can be done, but little to no literature stating HOW it should be done.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

If the in-ceiling speakers are positioned correctly, you can use the Amp as surrounds with the Beam by following the instructions in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Thank you. That is what I was trying to do but was having no luck. My amp is in a coat closet about 15 feet away from my TV so it doesn’t have the “line of sight” to the Beam that the article is referencing. I assume this could be the problem?

Thank you. That is what I was trying to do but was having no luck. My amp is in a coat closet about 15 feet away from my TV so it doesn’t have the “line of sight” to the Beam that the article is referencing. I assume this could be the problem?

The Amp being in the closet might be the issue. Also be sure to keep WiFi enabled on both the Beam and Amp in the Sonos app.

If push comes to shove, and hopefully it doesn’t, you could wire an Ethernet cable between the Beam and your router, and the Amp and the router. This would provide a secondary path for the surround data to travel. 

If push comes to shove, and hopefully it doesn’t, you could wire an Ethernet cable between the Beam and your router, and the Amp and the router. This would provide a secondary path for the surround data to travel. 

I chatted with tech support earlier and this is exactly what they recommended. Thank you. Luckily my basement is unfinished so I can easily give this a try, just need to find a 75’ ethernet cable!

Don’t say no to a roll of Ethernet cable, some cable ends and a crimper.

It is really nice to be able to knock out a perfect length cable for every need.

Go for ends like these that make wire positioning foolproof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVZ6XW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Don’t say no to a roll of Ethernet cable, some cable ends and a crimper.

It is really nice to be able to knock out a perfect length cable for every need.

Go for ends like these that make wire positioning foolproof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVZ6XW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks for the link. I have never done this myself, although I am fairly handy, so I think these will be easier than the typical RG45 ends.

I pitched all my older style ends when I got my first box of them, my eyes are pretty bad and they make things so much easier.

I do a good bit of end replacing on existing cables too, seems the cable crimper folks in China aren’t the most skilled or careful.