Answered

Connect Beam gen 2 to Samsung Frame

• 27 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I’ve been using Beam gen 1 with my Samsung Frame TV. No problems. HDMI and all other cables are in the wall.  I’m now replacing with a Beam gen 2 (so that I can use new Eras 300 set as surround).  

Is there any reason the HDMI cable that I’ve been using successfully with Beam gen 1 would not work with the Beam 2?  When I connect the new Beam 2 using the existing cable, nothing works.  
So I tried the HDMI cable that came with Beam 2, it works, but it will be too short to run behind with wall.

Why would the HDMI cable work for Beam 1 and not Beam 2? And if I need to buy a new cable, (that’s long enough), do I just need to get HDMI 2.1 for it to work?

Thanks in advance!

k

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 April 2024, 11:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Thought I’d search out that info since I didn’t know.

It isn’t in the Beam product manual.

It isn’t on the sales page for the HDMI cable

Nothing shows up for multiple searches on the support page.

This really shouldn’t be such hard information to find!

There is no reason why the original cable won’t work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It is too short. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Khutch1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As Beam (Gen 2) is eARC compatible, it requires a little more from the cable used to connect it to the TV as compared to the original Beam - Beam (Gen 1) requires a HDMI v1.4 cable (or above), whereas Beam (Gen 2) requires a HDMI v2.0 cable (or above). Depending on the sources you play from, you may find that you can just disable eARC functionality on your Samsung Frame and use the older cable with your Beam (Gen 2) - as long as you only stream movies from the internet, doing this will never be an issue, though please note that Apple TVs will convert streams and output Atmos (MAT) which requires eARC and a better cable.

Alternatively, purchase a longer HDMI v2.0 cable. Please note that a HDMI v2.1 cable will cost extra but with no added benefit.

I hope this helps.

That’s interesting, and thank you for the additional clarity.