Connect:Amp as surround for beam without wired connection to router

• 17 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a Beam connected to my TV and wanted to use a Connect:Amp to connect some speakers in the roof as surround sound.

The Sonos support website says:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

Your home theater speaker and Connect:Amp must be wired in one of the following configurations:

• Both the Sonos home theater speaker and Connect:Amp are wired to the router with an Ethernet cable.

• The Sonos home theater speaker is wired to the Connect:Amp with an Ethernet cable and another Sonos product is wired to the router.

I have a Boost plugged into my router and everything is in Boost mode (wm 0). I connected the Connect:Amp to the Beam with an ethernet cable. When I try to set the Amp as surround sound in the app it says

Both Beam and Connect:Amp must be connected to the router with an Ethernet cable

I called the support number, and they also told me that either both have to be connected to the router, or one of the Connect:Amp or the Beam must be connected. It’s not ok to have some other part of the network connected, that won’t work, it has to be one of those two devices.

Is this correct? And if so, why is the website so completely incorrect? Seems like I just spent $750 (AUD) on a Connect that I can’t use. If it’s not correct, any how do I actually get these to work as surround without wiring both into the router?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Your original understanding is how it has always been and (to the best of my knowledge) that has not changed.  Not deliberately, anyway.  It has always been the case that a wired route between the soundbar and Connect:Amp was needed.  One way this could be done was to wire directly between the two.  However, the Ethernet ports on Sonos devices are only active when the system is in SonosNet mode, hence the need to wire something else if neither the soundbar nor the C:A is wired to the router.  With a direct link between the two, neither has to be wired to the router.

I don’t think it should matter, but are you running this on S1 or S2?

Does the C:A work OK as a standalone amp?

Have you tried a different cable and the other port on the C:A?

I wouldn't give too much significance to  the exact wording in the warning message in the app.