Answered

change of wireless network issue.

• 17 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a sonos arc and a subwoofer that I wanted to move to another wireless network in my network. Same hardware, same access point same firewall same switch just a new wireless network. To make sure I had the password correct I connected my cell phone and it connected OK and then I moved six Alexa devices and nine other devices to this network without a hitch. I go to change the Wi-Fi network on my Sonos and six times. I’ve tried six times I get an error that it cannot connect to the network. What’s even pissing me off? Moore is now I can’t go back to the original network because it says that it can’t connect to it either. 

I hoping somebody here can give me some insight without a flood of misdirection because this is the stupidest bunch of bull I’ve ever seen. I’ve even tried moving my cell phone to the same network that I’m trying to add the Sonos to and that also didn’t work. Now I have the Sonos app asking me to restart the devices and restart my firewall. Now that I’ve knocked my entire network off-line for two speakers which didn’t do a thing because now I have a message on my app saying we couldn’t connect to your products. Please try again later. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 February 2024, 10:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Are you trying to run two networks in your home using the same hardware with different SSID’s and passwords or are you just changing the SSID and password?

BTW… Sonos didn’t crash your network.

Badge

I have four SSID’s running in my house on four separate VLAN’s. These four vlans have been running in my house for five years, and the Sonos had been successfully running on one of them for two years. I want to move the Sonos to one of the other vVLAN’s. My issue is I want to segregate my IOT devices, and the Sonos is one of them. So I am looking to move the Sonos to one of the other SSID’s in my network.  

For point of reference, I didn’t say it crashed my network. What I said was the app wanted me to restart the firewall which took my entire network off-line while it rebooted, which did nothing to help my problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @WayneSta 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I appreciate that this issue can get annoying, and we are working to improve matters.

For now, I recommend that you temporarily wire one speaker to the network with ethernet while setting up the WiFi credentials on the Sonos system.

If you have portable Sonos speakers, or Era models, I recommend you reboot you router and speakers prior to WiFi setup.

Please also ensure that your phone/tablet running the Sonos app is connecting to the network using the same credentials that you are trying to get Sonos to use.

If you continue to have issues after following these steps, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.