Answered

cannot control playbar using Sony KD-55XH9005 remote

• 17 November 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a Playbar connected via optical to my Sony KD-55XH905.

Until recently I used my SkyQ remote to control the sound on my TV but I have cancelled my subscription and have to send back the Sky equipment.

This forces me to use the Sony remote but although the TV shows the remote responding (volume bar appears on screen going up/down), the Playbar does not respond.

I have gone through troubleshooting in the iOS app but it says it cannot find a response from the remote.

Does anyone have any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 November 2022, 18:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does the Sony remote emit infrared or bluetooth? The Playbar needs ir.

Does the Sony remote emit infrared or bluetooth? The Playbar needs ir.

I have checked and it does have IR. The remote is a RMF-TX500E and having pointed it at my phone camera I can clearly see a light in the top edge of the remote control.

After a LOT of trial and error I now have FINALLY got it responding, but I had to turn off bluetooth pairing of the remote on the TV, which means I cannot use Google Assistant on the remote to control the TV. Surely I shouldn’t have to deactivate this feature - bluetooth and IR should work side by side shouldn’t they?

That’s a question for Sony, unfortunately.

My answer would be yes, they should...but that tends not to be the way that manufacturers set up their remotes. They tend to go “all one way, and not the other” when they do this.