Skip to main content

I currently own a Sonos Beam and Two Sonos One SL speakers functioning as a surround system for my television and for music.  Currently my Sonos Roam (1) cannot join the group of speakers i’m using at home.  If I upgrade to the Sonos Roam 2, is it possible to add this device to my current Sonos Sound system configuration as an additional speaker?  I would optimally like to use the Roam 2 as a speaker in another room while listening to music.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Yes.  You can then group it with your current system to play the same music or a TV source.  TV sources will be slightly delayed, which will not be noticeable if the speaker is in another room. 

Thank you.  I was quite disappointed with the original Sonos Roam due to this lack of compatibility.  

Thank you.  I was quite disappointed with the original Sonos Roam due to this lack of compatibility.  

There’s no reason why the original Roam cannot be added to your system and used with the Beam/Ones.  I don’t know who/what told you that, but it is incorrect.  I have an original Roam in the bathroom and a Beam/Ones setup in the bedroom and they work together just fine. 

I get that and see a similar screen except I just have the Beam listed and the Roam listed.  When I open up the Beam it then shows me the two ONE SLs.  I’m wondering if it is because I have the beam setup using the two One SLs as surround sound. 

Well, nevermind - I just updated the firmware and now it works.  Crap.  I stand corrected.  Thanks for your help.

I get that and see a similar screen except I just have the Beam listed and the Roam listed.  When I open up the Beam it then shows me the two ONE SLs.  I’m wondering if it is because I have the beam setup using the two One SLs as surround sound. 

Yes, the Ones are surrounds, so they are bonded to the same room.  The Roam can't be used for surrounds, but you can group the rooms together.  See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms