Answered

Can I use a Sonos Arc as rear surround 'speakers'

• 22 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Forgive me for my ignorance on the Arc’s capabilities, but after learning that one can basically plug and go with Sonos, I have to entertain this thought and ask if it’s even possible! To be more specific I’m imagining a home theater setup with Sonos Arc in the front as usual, but for funzies, instead of a couple of Ones in the rear, we just throw in another Arc. 

Can someone shed some light on why this is either a super dumb … or maybe a revolutionary idea? I imagine the Dolby Atmos effects would be amazing... 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 22 March 2022, 20:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No.

Even if you could, the atmos effect would not be amazing.  The height channels on the Arc are designed to bounce off the ceiling to the seating area about 10 feet away.  So, your rear Arc would need to be around 10 feet behind you to hear it.  Or you’d have to change the angle rather drastically.  I don’t think the atmos from 4 instead of 2 speakers will be that much improved with this effect.  And at that distance/angle, you’re getting loosing rear surround sound.

Just use Sonos as it has been carefully designed to operate. Please.