Skip to main content

I have read all the threads on here on this topic but does anyone have up-to-date experience with comparing the latest equipment and software.

I own neither so far, but what has caught my eye is a NAD AV amp which has BlueSound OS built in. This level of integration appeals to me. Most importantly, it solves my worry about the virtual centre channel in a 5.1 Sonos home cinema system using two Sonos Amps (subject of a separate post). Because of this and not wanting a soundbar, I have decided to replace my current AV Amp, initially planning on using the Sonos Port to deliver streamed music, when I came across the Bluesound based NAD alternative.

The Bluesound amps (Power Node or PowerNode Edge) both also have a line level output - allowing it to drive a pair of speakers and give an input to an existing stereo. Sonos Amp doesn’t seem to have this.

The Bluetooth app seems equally good to me, maybe it  has been updated since I saw it heavily slated on here (5 years ago). I can wire most of my multi-room nodes using the ethernet. 

I have both Sonos and Bluesound hardware. Personally I would not build an AV system using Sonos speakers but like you already intend replacing your AV amplifier with similar then for me the BluOS enabled NAD amp is the path I would choose rather than a Sonos Port mainly for the integration / ease of use.

Both systems are similar but there are a lot more integrated streaming service in Sonos than Bluesound if that matters, also Sonos has better voice control. Saying that Bluesound devices can be controlled by the excellent RC1 remote and a single button press has music playing rather than the rigamarole of unlocking a phone / tablet, loading the app etc.

Wiring Ethernet to as many devices as possible is great practice, so do this for any hardware you can.

N.B. Bluesound POWER device do not have a line level output only the Vault and NODE models have this, there is an also major BluOS app overhaul due in Autumn.

Note that you’ve posted on a Sonos sponsored board, so the majority of replies will likely be Sonos favorable. For a perhaps more measured response, you may want to ask for opinions in a board not sponsored by one of the two manufacturers, say www.avforum.com, as an example. 

Agreed about this not being the most objective forum for this sort of comparison.  I am definitely subjective and don’t know a ton about bluesound, but I would be concerned about the longevity of the product line given they don’t seem to be near as popular as Sonos.

But similar to what @Belly M stated, if you don’t want a soundbar, I wouldn’t be trying to build out a home theatre room with Sonos.  The amp is a good versatile product and works well TV audio, but a bit limited if you want a home theatre space, given the phantom center channel and lack of atmos. I would be looking at a standard AV receiver component setup and add odd the music streaming box for whatever system you want to go with.

Thanks for the help. Understood this may not be the perfect place but I also know lots of members do have experience of both.

Thanks for the help. Understood this may not be the perfect place but I also know lots of members do have experience of both.

Been here a long time.  The members who own both are exceedingly small, and do not tend to cross-post between fora.

It get down to features and price points at the end of the day, and one hard to measure intangible - stability of wireless music play. If the best HT sound you can get in the home is the objective, any good AV amp with wired speakers is still the ideal. Music streaming as just an addition can be done to such a set up by even an Echo Dot wired to an input pair on the amp.

I’d add long term support of old hardware and new/old versions compatibility to my shopping questions.

Sonos doesn’t get a perfect score with the S1 / S2 split but given how long they managed to avoid that in the first place and how well S1 gear is still supported it isn’t far off the mark.

BlueSound I have no direct experience with but I do recall seeing posts here and elsewhere discussing it.

Buy Sonos online, then after 70 days of Sonos use buy Bluesound online, compare both for the remaining 30 days, and return one or both before the 100th day, ie before both return policy’s end.

I’d add long term support of old hardware and new/old versions compatibility to my shopping questions.

Sonos doesn’t get a perfect score with the S1 / S2 split but given how long they managed to avoid that in the first place and how well S1 gear is still supported it isn’t far off the mark.

BlueSound I have no direct experience with but I do recall seeing posts here and elsewhere discussing it.

Bluesound still support their original 10 year old hardware with the current firmware / App. Engage crystal ball for future predictions…

Engage crystal ball for future predictions…

I predict that in future blueos will only exist in OEM format, in other brand devices, ie they will not be making their own amplifiers. Otherwise there is a conflict of interest, they are competing with their hardware partners?

Engage crystal ball for future predictions…

I predict that in future blueos will only exist in OEM format, in other brand devices, ie they will not be making their own amplifiers. Otherwise there is a conflict of interest, they are competing with their hardware partners?

They are indeed competing, but also with their sister company NAD. Quite distinct though as Bluesound is marketed at the lower end, they have professional products for integration. NAD have more feature rich (screens for artwork etc.) and Home Cinema along with loads more watts in the M series. A few Hi-Fi brands now have BluOS integration but they are more akin to the NAD offerings.

Just as a note, which may or may not be important to the OP, Bluesound now licenses tech from Sonos, as explained in this article:

https://audioxpress.com/article/sonos-settles-another-patent-infringement-case-and-agrees-on-multi-year-licensing-deal-with-lenbrook

Was there not some mention about the patents running out soon?

I don’t recall seeing anything about it, but that’s not a confirmation, one way or the other ;)

Here is a good start on Sonos patents. Depending on the type patent it looks like they have a 15 or 20 year lifetime.

https://insights.greyb.com/sonos-patents/