Answered

Best way to connect ethernet to playbar, TV, bluray player and Bell fibe receiver

• 18 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a switch right beside me router, and I got 2 Ethernet wires to bring me Internet from the switch to the farthest side of my home. At that place, I have to connect a Sonos Playbar, a recent 4K TV, 4K bluray player and the Bell fibe receiver for TV channels. So I’m short of two Ethernet connections. I wish to wire-connect everything. What is the best way to do it? If I buy a second switch, how should I wire it? If I can connect only one item in the first switch, which one should it be, considering all others will be connected in the second switch? What should I connect in the second Ethernet outlet of the Playbar?

Thanks a lot!!

icon

Best answer by buzz 18 June 2023, 08:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I’m confused. You have a “router” on one side of the house and “Bell fibe” on the other side. Which box is the source of your Internet connection?

The router. The fibe receiver is connected in the router, and the TV is connected in the fibe receiver for watching TV channels. To watch Netflix, I need to connect the TV directly to the router.

Assuming that the “fibe receiver” is just a video source that can be wired to Ethernet, I recommend installing an unmanaged switch at the TV location. A couple decades ago we could argue about the benefits of avoiding local switches and using only home runs back to a central switch, but even cheap modern switches are much more capable and this is a simple system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Switches can be had with 4-16 or even more ports.