Answered

Beam wont add surrounds

• 22 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I have a beam and until a few weeks ago all was working ok.  It’s has no dropped my 2x Play 1’s and won’t allow me to add them as surrounds.

I have factory reset everything and started again with no luck.  The error message I get is “two compatible Sonos speakers are required etc etc”.  It’s feels like it doesn’t even search, the error message instantly pops up.

The WiFi router has been constant before and after the issues, so I have ruled that out.

I have exhausted my understanding of this, any ideas?

Thank you

Will

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 September 2021, 17:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

What router are you using? Have you tried unplugging the Beam and Play:1s from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router and phone?

Also worth checking that the ‘WiFi’ hasn’t been disabled in the Beam’s settings, as it uses that to connect to the surrounds.

And then running a diagnostic on the system, and contacting Sonos directly, on the off hand chance the WiFi card in the Beam has failed. 

Thanks all.

tried all of above and no joy. The beam is connected by wifi currently and always was so hopefully it’s not an internal issue. It feels like a software issue but who knows.

when I try to connect the beam to surrounds, it’s doesn’t even try and search, it immediately states no available speakers.

frustrating. Do you guys think a Sonos Boost will

clear things up?

Sonos would know. Which is why I suggested the diagnostic, and contacting them directly. 

I wouldn’t spend the money on a BOOST until you get an explanation as to why it isn’t working. It’s slightly possible a BOOST might help, but it’s unlikely, since the surrounds connect directly to the Beam, and not your Wifi signal.

I’d also be looking for sources of wifi interference around your Beam and surrounds, particularly in the 5Ghz frequency, although not only that one. The surrounds do connect to the Beam using a 5Ghz channel, though.