Skip to main content

I have a beam attached to a Samsung tv. Recently I changed my network to an ASUS mesh. After doing this and setting everything up, the beam cut out from the tv at odd intervals. Having tried everything on the forum, changing HDMI cables and switching things on and off with no effect, I noticed that the light on the beam was flashing when the tv sound dropped out. The beam is sat next to the ASUS router so I decided to hard wire it. This seems to have done the trick but I can’t get an explanation as to why it kept dropping from the wifi. Just thought I ought to put this info up here in case someone else has the same problem.

Hi @Andy W58 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If your Beam was within 1m (3 feet) of your router, they would have been sources of interference for each other, and the issues you saw could indeed have been caused simply by having the Beam and router too close.

Please note that with the Beam wired, it is now transmitting it’s own WiFi for your other speakers to join instead of your Asus WiFi - therefore, I still recommend that you keep the router and Beam at least 1m apart.

To anyone else reading this thread, please note that the Beam’s light flashing is key - usually with TV audio interruptions, the best step to take is to unplug the TV from power for a couple of minutes.

I hope this helps.

This is obviously an undocumented “feature”. It’s not possible for me to move the router away so will have to keep it hard wired. This has now caused another weird anomaly. When I fast forward a recording on sky q I get a lot of noise, when I play it’s fine a watching tv is fine. This never happened prior to me hard wiring the beam. Could this be noise being picked up on the network cable or am I going to have to go back through all the cables etc.

Hi @Andy W58 

I don’t think “undocumented” is accurate - see our Choose between a wireless and wired Sonos setup help page. It’s been fundamental to how Sonos works for a long time now.

I am unable to see how the nature of the network connection could alter the experience of fast forwarding on your Sky Q box - the network literally has nothing to do with this situation. Perhaps a reboot of the Beam, the Sky Q box and/or your TV will help. It simply is not possible that this is due to the ethernet cable, or noise picked up by it. It’s technically possible that the software is altering the behaviour due to the presence of the cable, but I find that extremely unlikely (it would have been noticed long before now).

As you do not have surround speakers, you could disable the WiFi radio on the Beam without unwanted side-effects. Simply go to Settings » System » iroom with Beam] » Beam » Disable Wi-Fi. Please note that should you ever add surrounds or a Sub to your Beam in the future, you must enable WiFi on the Beam for them to work. With the ethernet cable attached and WiFi disabled, the Beam will no longer transmit SonosNet for your other speakers. However, I do not recommend disabling WiFi on the Beam if you encounter no issues with other WiFi devices, including other Sonos speakers. WiFi must be re-enabled before disconnecting the ethernet cable or the Beam will remain offline.

Another option - seeing as you had no issues until you upgraded your router - might be to reduce the WiFi transmission power of your Asus router to a lower level. This will, of course, affect the signal in other locations in your home.

My strongest advice remains to separate the router and Beam - perhaps extension cables will allow it?

I hope this helps.

Since previous email I am satisfied that the sky q problem is something getting messed up between the two and not sonos.