Answered

Beam Tivo Bolt Remote issues

• 2 February 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a Sonos Beam (first version) that lives with a Tivo Bolt and a Sony Android TV. They worked together successfully for awhile but recently the Tivo remote will no longer control the TV volume or on/off functions. I have re-paired the remote with the TV and all Tivo functions work including channel up/down, but volume and on/off now have to be accessed through the TV’s remote. 

The Beam is connected to the TV through an HDMI eArc port. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 February 2023, 14:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @adampp 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’d love to help. but unfortunately, your described issue has little to do with Sonos - your Beam will rely upon your TV relaying the TiVo’s remote commands to it via HDMI-CEC, which clearly isn’t happening. I don’t think the TV is getting them in the first place, or it would turn off with the Standby button.

The fact that the TV remote controls the Beam’s volume indicates everything on Sonos’ side of things is working as it should.

Please ensure Bravia Sync is enabled on the TV and that CEC functions are enabled on the TiVo, but for more assistance, please contact these relevant companies.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Corry P I don’t think the Bolt has CEC support, well mine doesn’t anyway, so this sounds like the usual “need to redo the IR learning” issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Oh! I see - thank you! That does change matters!

@adampp, please see this page for guidance: Control Sonos home theater with your TV remote

If you encounter any issues, some of the pages here should help:

Check if you have an IR remote

TV remote not detected by Sonos

TV remote requirements for Sonos home theater products

IR sensor location on Sonos home theater products

I hope this helps.

Hi and thanks @controlav and @Corry P  ...So apparently the Bolt supports CEC but not for volume control, or so says Tivo’s help pages. CEC is disabled by default on the Bolt, so I enabled it and now the “Tivo” button on the remote turns the TV on and the volume control is working again even though it is unsupported. The mystery remains as to why the Tivo remote successfully controlled volume and TV Power for 2y and then suddenly stopped, but the CEC activation seems to have resolved it. Thanks for your help.

CEC is a mess. Sometimes things will straighten out if you disconnect the HDMI cables, reboot the TV and source, power up, then reconnect the HDMI cable.

In the future an “improved” version of firmware might help or hinder. Each manufacturer will claim that it’s the other guy’s fault.

In some cases, when multiple HDMI inputs are used, another box is fouling things via CEC. When an HDMI connection is established both ends will interrogate each other and attempt to work out details with CEC, HDCP (High Definition Content Protection), audio format, and video format. This does not always work out and my be trashed when a box is updated.