Answered

Beam surround with Sony TV A80J

• 31 March 2024
  • 4 replies

I have problem with my apps like Youtube on Sony a80j where the dialogue is lower and the other sounds like boms and music are higher. I have switched on the dialogue button on Sonos sorround (Beam gen 1 + 2 play1), and the settings are on Dolby Digital and connected with earc.

Here are my settings:

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 April 2024, 10:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mrcool79 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the dialogue volume on your Beam. However, as you have already activated Speech Enhancement mode, there isn’t anything I can suggest that you do within the Sonos app. 

If you have the YouTube app available on a source device (Apple TV, Sky Q, nVidia Shield, etc.), please try using it instead of the TV’s built-in YouTube app - you may get different results.

I hope this helps.

I would also caution that you check the format/codec being used. YouTube in particular is known for sending videos in stereo, which will effectively ‘muffle’ the center channel. Even when the video claims to be in a 5.1 format on the screen. It’s always worth double checking the Sonos controller app to see what is actually being received by the Sonos. 

Is it better to upgrade to Beam gen 2 that supports Atmos and DD+? Maybe thats the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mrcool79 

As you refer to YouTube specifically in your post, and as YouTube does not typically provide videos in Dolby Digital + or Atmos (unless, perhaps, it is paid-for content like a full movie), I don’t see how changing the Beam for a newer model would help matters, to be honest.

Take note of what format is reported in the Now Playing screen of your Beam when YouTube content is playing - if it says PCM, it’s going to be in stereo, and Dolby Digital + or Atmos support will be irrelevant.

Please note, however, that we are tracking an issue with Speech Enhancement whereby some users are reporting that there is no discernible difference with it on or off. We are investigating, but have no estimate for when a fix will be available. It’s possible that a resolution to this will address the problem you are experiencing.

I hope this helps.