Skip to main content
Answered

Beam + Sky Q no digital audio

• 28 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’ve seen there are topics on similar but try as I might I can’t fix it.

2014 Panasonic TV TXL42ET60

sky Q 1 TB box

sonos beam gen 2

connections

beam connected to TV via HDMI2 (ARC) using Sonos lead

sky q to HDMI 1

viera link is on. HDMI output on TV is set to digital.

setup via Sonos app and the TV is connected.

I can only get sound on HD channels if on the Sky q settings the HDMI output is set to normal and then it comes as stereo PCM 2.0

if I change the HDMI output on sky box to digital then I will only get sound on non-HD channels

Absolutely infuriating so far. Certainly the investment wasn’t to have a stereo speaker!

All advice welcome - I’m off to the pub and will check back tomorrow!

Your TV was actually released in 2013. Because it is an older TV, it probably cannot pass through 5.1 audio from external devices connected to the TV’s HDMI ports. I have a Panasonic ST60 from 2013 and it has the same issue. I can only get stereo audio from my streaming devices and Blu-ray player.

Your options are to upgrade to a new TV (preferably equipped with HDMI eARC) or do what I did and get the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter that will allow your Sky Q box to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Beam so you can get 5.1 audio.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

FYI… the only way I can get 5.1 audio from my TV is to play 5.1 video files from a flash drive plugged in to the TV’s USB port.

Thanks for your response. I’m hoping your wrong but starting to think you might be right - the YV can’t pass through a digital signal. I assumed that ARC always did this but perhaps not?

I have the same results using the optical in and the HDMI-optical adapter.

@GuitarSuperstar is right. Even fairly recent Panasonic TVs have been unable to output surround sound formats from HDMI inputs.