Question

Beam setup problems on shared wifi

• 28 December 2020
  • 1 reply

I just received a Sonos beam for Christmas. I tried installing it in my apartment who has a shared wifi for the building (10 apts.) . 

The setup goes swiftly until I reach the moment to connect the Beam to the wifi. I enter the wifi password and the wheel starts turning for about 2-3 minutes then the app shows a message that says: “The Beam has been added, but may not appear in the system tab. If so, unplug the power cord and plug it back in to finish setup from the System tab.” 

I follow these instructions. When the Beam restarts, I still cant access the System tab and I have a message that shows at the top of the app “Unable to connect to sonos”. 

I tried going to the building router and plugging an ethernet cable, but nothing changed/worked. 

I saw that a way to get around a shared wifi would be to buy a travel router. Could that work in my situation? Or is there anything else I can do? 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I think that a travel router would be your best approach. The building router probably treats tenants as Guests and Guests are not allowed to access other local network clients. If they are allowed to access other local clients there is a huge security risk.