beam gen 2 with sub or sub mini, or arc

• 13 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I couldn’t find a similar topic yet. 

I currently own a Beam Gen 2 which I am very happy to have. I will be moving in a few months where my living room will be bigger. We’ll be watching movies from about 4 meters in a room that’s about 20 m2, maybe a little less. We’ll be listening to music as well. 

Should I

1: sell my beam gen 2 and buy an arc, and in a few years add a sub (mini) and 2 one’s for a surround system? This will take me some time though. 

2: buy a sub (or sub mini) immediately and later 2 one’s for surround. 

Maybe to ask a simpler question if above is not clear, since I’m actually asking a few questions at the same time: Is a Beam Gen 2 sufficient with a sub? Or is an Arc better? I can add a sub later probably but this will take me a year or two. I also am in doubt between a sub or sub mini. I have difficulty choosing. 

Hopefully I’m not making this too complicated.

Thanks a lot!

3 replies

Define “sufficient”, please. 

The Arc is a better device, IMHO, and should be, based on price. It’s wider, has dedicated upward firing speakers, etc. But there are smaller rooms and TVs that would benefit just as much from a Beam as an Arc, so it really boils down to a “it depends” answer. 

Either Sub would work with either of those speakers perfectly well, it boils down (again) to use case, room, your own preferences. They’re both good devices. 

Define sufficient. That’s a good question.

Do I have a good movie experience where I’m well emerged (? Not a native speaker) by sound with the Beam 2 and sub? Or would an Arc be better? 
And to listen to music. Is a Beam Gen 2 and sub better or an Arc?

Thank you so far 

So, all of the things I said in my original post stand. Ultimately, the Arc is a better speaker, for the reasons I listed. However, the space you’re using it in might restrict the benefits, and there is more cost for all of those extra features.

Do I think that you’d be unhappy with either of them? Absolutely not. They’re both great speakers, and better, at least in my experience, than any speakers provided by a TV set, and certainly excellent at music playback, too.

Fortunately, if you purchase directly from Sonos, there’s a return policy if you don’t feel it matches your expectations, so you might, if you’re unable to visit a local retailer, be able to do a comparison in your own setting.

Your profile for this board doesn’t indicate where you’re from, otherwise I’d run all this through Google translate, in the hopes that it might maintain some of the nuance. 

At the end of the day, it’s your home, it’s your wallet, it’s your ears that need to be happy.