Skip to main content

I have purchased two Beam (Gen 2) speakers from the same store and same palate lot. Both complete the setup process connecting to the 2.4 GHz WiFi band before returning an error 1101 when attempting to update the firmware after which the setup completes with a tone but the speaker disappears from the Sonos app upon clicking Done. I confirmed each was connected to my WiFi network and was pingable.  I tried connecting to an existing system and each time the Sonos app found the speaker and connected before immediately disconnecting again. I tried the same thing with the speaker connected via Ethernet with the same result. I factory reset each speaker, reset the Sonos app and started setup again with the speaker connected via Ethernet but it still failed. I even tried deleting my new Sonos account, creating a new one, factory resetting the speaker and starting all over again with no success. My only conclusion is that I bought two speakers from a bad lot where the initial failed firmware triggers an issue that prevents them from properly connecting to the Sonos app. 

Having the same problem. Switched from gen 1 to gen 2, gen 1 was tough to setup but eventually it worked after a couple of tries.

No luck with gen 2 though. Separate 2.4Ghz network, Ethernet, factory resets, Sonos app reinstall, new system, add to existing system…

1101 error upon clicking Done and no speaker in app.

Found the solution. After another unsuccessful setup using Sonos App on iOS, I tried to use Sonos App for Windows.

Windows app found my system, connected to it and prompted to update the firmware. First try was unsuccessful, but then I rebooted the Beam, tried again and it worked.

After that, it prompted to link my speaker to my Sonos acccount, which again, was unsuccessful on a first try, but worked after another Beam reboot.

After successful linkage, I reopened iOS app and got prompted to connect to my system.

Can’t believe that such a high end product requires that amount of tinkering to setup.

Wow! I ended up purchasing a 3rd unit from a different store and production lot. That one installed via the iPhone app without a single issue. Just to be sure and to satisfy my curiosity, I tried once more to set up the 2nd unit which failed yet again.