Beam Gen 2 - sudden full volume hammering sound

• 28 December 2021
  • 93 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

93 replies

Wow I didn’t know a speaker would be capable of causing so much chaos. Mine just erupted with what can only be described as deafening machine gun firing sounds. Already boxed it up and sending it back. I can’t have a product in the house that has the capability of doing that. It terrified my dogs. My blind dog was so scared she ran into a wall. I damn near torn my ACL trying to get to the thing to unplug it. This thing is going to spark a class action lawsuit. A speaker that can actually cause physical harm to living things in your house! Quite the accomplishment.

Its just a real pity you couldn’t have remained calm and captured the issue on video and taken a system diagnostic report, as that may have helped everyone else to get to the root cause of the issue.

It’s certainly an issue I’ve seen reported online involving several other ‘brands’ of Soundbar/Speaker too, so it makes me wonder if it’s a codec, or a particular component issue.

Oh well let’s hope that if it ever happens to anyone else, that they are able to ’keep calm and carry on’ and gather the information that’s really needed to help resolve the issue

I purchased a Beam 2 and 2 One SL speakers today. Not but a few hours after I set it up I experienced this loud jackhammer sound. I was quietly watching TV at 10:30pm when it happened. I nearly had a heart attack! The remote would not turn the volume down so I jumped up and pulled all of the cables out of the back. It didn’t stop until I pulled the power cable.

This is my first experience with a Sonos product and will likely be my last. I can’t have something like this in my home. No way! I purchased this because I thought it was quality, but I’m very disappointed.

One thing I wanted to point out is that I was using a Samsung TV, as it seems like many of you were. Was anybody NOT using a Samsung? Could there be some incompatibility between the two?

There is no calm in a house with 4 dogs and a 100 decibel speaker blaring. I suggest the place to test Sonos products is in their lab and not my living room.

I guess no amount of lab-testing can cater for every single real-world situation with all the different unique network and A/V products that can form part of a setup - it’s just a shame that perhaps some important information might have been lost here on this occasion amongst your chaos and panic, but never-mind if you’ve packed things away now to send back - It was just my own thoughts that your experience here might perhaps have assisted others who encounter a similar issue, particularly as it’s not a very widely reported issue.

Perhaps see this link and suggestion…

I just installed my Beam 2 on 1/31/22 and it has happened 3 times now. Just call support and he said they will “look into it” but sent me an email telling to unplug it and plug it back in and let him know if it happens again, not what I want to hear. This is a SAFETY issue for loud sound exposure at the least when it happens and needs to be taken more seriously. I will give him a day to look into but but most likely will just return it, too bad I used love Sons products and have many, not this one.

I purchased a Beam 2 and 2 One SL speakers today. Not but a few hours after I set it up I experienced this loud jackhammer sound. I was quietly watching TV at 10:30pm when it happened. I nearly had a heart attack! The remote would not turn the volume down so I jumped up and pulled all of the cables out of the back. It didn’t stop until I pulled the power cable.

This is my first experience with a Sonos product and will likely be my last. I can’t have something like this in my home. No way! I purchased this because I thought it was quality, but I’m very disappointed.

One thing I wanted to point out is that I was using a Samsung TV, as it seems like many of you were. Was anybody NOT using a Samsung? Could there be some incompatibility between the two?

i have a sony tv, the annoying part is that its a well know thing for over a year and nothing is being done about it, except replacing the speaker for “free”, but at that point the damage is done and your very bother and annoyed, like i mention on my post, it happened to us at 3 am, and we were up all morning after that, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen

I have a Samsung TV and it happened while watching TV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

@adamk111 What content was playing just before this happend?

Badge

Hey,

Same issue here with a brand new Beam 2. I’ve tried the following things:

1. Unplugged  any device connected to the HDMI to see if a device was sending a bad return signal
  2. Plugged the Beam by ethernet to see if  it was du to a bad wifi interference
  3. Remove Google assistant to see if it was coming from another home device
  4. Changed the electric plug it into another wall socket (bad electric signal)

Issue still appearing so i can only suppose it is a faulty beam. The store where i bought it is sending me a replacement beam.

To be continued...

I had the issue occur multiple times this weekend already. I’ve submitted diagnostics twice in the past 24 hours (although the issue occurred far more than just the twice) - but have not reached out to support yet as the timing was not great for sitting on the phone.

I have a “case #” that I was given the last time I actually reported it to support - It would be great if there was a mechanism so that I could attach the # that the app reports when I submit diagnostics to my case # so that support could look at the diagnostics without needing to be prompted by a call.

yes, also pops up with streaming music with airplay or just using the Sonos app

Yes, also happens when playing music. With airplay and with the Sonos app.

I have two Sonos beams gen 2, one with 2 ikea sym as surround 

and one setup with the beam gen 2, sub mini and 2 one’s. Just occurred / experienced the hammering sound with this last set-up

I sent the video to Sonos support but was just told to reset the device and try again.. which I did.. well..

Happened again tonight, this time it was so loud that my neighbors woke and my ears are still ringing - I am never going to turn this thing on again, and I hope Sonos can issue me a replacement.

I sent the video to Sonos support but was just told to reset the device and try again.. which I did.. well..

Happened again tonight, this time it was so loud that my neighbors woke and my ears are still ringing - I am never going to turn this thing on again, and I hope Sonos can issue me a replacement.

Don’t forget to grab the data suggested and submit a diagnostic report. - and contact Sonos Support Staff when available via this LINK.

Sonos Support doesn’t rank this random loud deafening jack hammer noise as a priority issue and probably does not escalate it to the attention of management. Since Support doesn’t generate revenue this will not get the attention it deserves.

Patrick Spence, Sonos CEO quoted “we had a record quarter of sales …”.  As long as their products continue to sell the Audio Engineering department will focus on development and not resolve problems. To be heard send an email to the CEO and Maxime Bouvat-Merlin, Senior VP-Hardware & Operations let him know your dissatisfaction. I sent and received a reply. Check my past post under nuevo123.

BTW I returned my Beam Gen 2.

Email CEO: ceo@sonos.com

Email Sr. VP: Maxime.Bouvat-Merlin@sonos.com

Long Story Short: Unpacked a new SONOS-Home-Cinema-Package (Beam2, SubMini, 2x ERA100). Tested the Beam in connection with SubMini by just playing Music (Apple Music ==> SONOS S2 App ==> Beam+SubMini). After a few Minutes of Enjoyment the described Terror brokes out. After pulling the Power-Plug, the damn Thing rebooted normally, as never a thing was happen...Changes NEtwork-Connection of the BEam from WLAN to Cable-Ethernet (the SubMini still uses WLAN) and give it another try….after few Minutes it happend again. Now i was somwhat “stealed” an managed to run a Diagnosis fromout the SONOS-App and called to Support.

RMA-Process is ongoin atm, the dangerous Beam Gen 2 is back in the Box awaiting for Sending Back and i’m just listening with the “Remains” of the above mentioned SONOS-Setup (2 x ERA100 + SubMini) as 2.1 Stereo… Hopefully the replacement-Beam will NEVER EVER doing this MAchine Gun-Cacophony again...

I use the cord provided by Sonos when it happened 

This exact thing happened to me first time today on 2 month old unit. My ears still hurt 8 hours later. Gonna contact Sonos for advice.

Wow I didn’t know a speaker would be capable of causing so much chaos. Mine just erupted with what can only be described as deafening machine gun firing sounds. Already boxed it up and sending it back. I can’t have a product in the house that has the capability of doing that. It terrified my dogs. My blind dog was so scared she ran into a wall. I damn near torn my ACL trying to get to the thing to unplug it. This thing is going to spark a class action lawsuit. A speaker that can actually cause physical harm to living things in your house! Quite the accomplishment.

Its just a real pity you couldn’t have remained calm and captured the issue on video and taken a system diagnostic report, as that may have helped everyone else to get to the root cause of the issue.

It’s certainly an issue I’ve seen reported online involving several other ‘brands’ of Soundbar/Speaker too, so it makes me wonder if it’s a codec, or a particular component issue.

Oh well let’s hope that if it ever happens to anyone else, that they are able to ’keep calm and carry on’ and gather the information that’s really needed to help resolve the issue

As someone that this just happened to I can tell you, you can't be calm about it, it just woke us up, we thought we were being attacked,y wife had a panic attack, it was the fist night we e were able to sleep since the baby, so no, being calm during this wouldn't be easy, I also see this being a lawsuit 

Repleacement-Beam has just arrived, just unpacking and setting it up….will keep You up to date here in this Thread…Finger crossed too…

I just purchased this on 2-8-2022 from Costco and had this happen to me twice! Having this many experiencing this issue does not provide great confidence in this product. Can’t believe a product like this would be sensitive to Wi-Fi or using one of the Voice services. I hope a true solution is being provided on what is causing this and what fixes can be done. 

Just watched the video link and this exact issue has happened to me too, 4 times. Finally disconnected it on the 4th. I submitted diagnostics two times but it seems the beam disconnects and restarts which losses the log details.

Spoke to tech support but haven’t received any answers. Just a sincere apology for the bad experience. Has anyone else received a viable solutions?. Not sure if I should just return it and try using the arc instead but after already Dropping almost 1200 on the beam gen 2 and the sub together,  Spending additional money only to hope it doesn’t happen is a bit concerning. Anyone had any issues with the arc or gen 1 beams? I’m running a Samsung q90t (earc) to beam and an Apple TV 4K via another hdmi cable. The setup worked flawlessly for 3 days but can’t fathom or understand why it would start doing this so randomly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I reverted back to my Beam Gen 1 for now as I don't want to risk this happening again. Luckily, I have not given it away yet. I hope Sonos comes up with a reliable solution for this one quickly. If this is not the case within the next couple of weeks the Beam Gen 2 goes back. I sent a diagnostic in the very moment of one of these occurences, so Sonos should have helpful input from my side.

I have had this issue pop up twice in the last 2 days.  Randomly.  One with the TV off.  How do we submit diagnostics for a replacement when its completely random and disturbing pets when its happening?

Corry, any ideas this is really upsetting the family and I have a lot of Sonos products lol

@Corry P

Hey there. 

I spoke to sonos support and they advise I do full factory reset. App reset etc. After doing this it seems somewhat better but maybe I'm just still partly deaf from the machinegun sound.

Im going to give it 24 hours and hope to God it doesn't happen again. If it does they advised to return to the store and swap for a new unit.

Hey Josh,

Just wondering if this happened again? and also if you checked if the right side is still quiet? As I have 4 days left to return mine and I’d rather do it now if it’s faulty.

Thanks!

Here is how to submit a system diagnostic. You’d need to submit it within roughly 10 minutes of the event, as the space for the diagnostic information on your system is not infinite. And once you’ve submitted it, you need to inform Sonos folks which one they should be looking at, and why.