Answered

Beam (Gen 2) + Ikea Symfonisk + Chromecast with Google TV + Hisense TV = No longer 5.1?

• 6 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I own the set mentioned above (not sure about the model of a TV but I know it can support 5.1 and Atmos as well, the TV is pretty new-a year or two max three old). I had it working for the past year.

Something probably changed in my setup and 5.1 no longer works correctly, when streaming Netflix, or using any other app with 5.1/Atmos. I don’t know what or why.

When using not 5.1 apps, like YouTube, I used to be able to get all surrounds to play on the same volume as my main Beam, now I am not able to do it, even though I play with volumes and settings in the app.

Now my surrounds make broken sound, similiar to what is supposed to play and it’s much quieter (like 90% queiter) than Beam.

Surrounds work as supposed, when playing Xbox on the same TV (with 5.1 as well). TV set to pass through all the time, Google Chromecast as well. Something is off and I can’t find what.

Many thanks for your help.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 December 2023, 19:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

When you play a 5.1 or Atmos source from the Chromecast, what audio format is displayed in the Sonos app? What audio format is displayed when you play a 5.1 or Atmos source from the Xbox?

It is normal to get varied surround performance when playing stereo audio from YouTube videos. The quality of the surround audio is largely dependent on the quality of the stereo mix. A lot of stereo mixes from YouTube videos are very low quality.

Stereo PCM when playing Atmos movies via Netflix on Chromecast, the same goes for YouTube.

Xbox shows Dolby Atmos or I can change to DTS Digital Plus 5.1 or some other 5.1 that works too. So Xbox is running as it should.

Yes, that is true, but this low quality of stereo coming from surrounds applies to each and every surround audio, even playing Spotify from Chromecast.

So no idea, what to do next.

Userlevel 7

Stereo PCM when playing Atmos movies via Netflix on Chromecast, the same goes for YouTube.

Xbox shows Dolby Atmos or I can change to DTS Digital Plus 5.1 or some other 5.1 that works too. So Xbox is running as it should.

Yes, that is true, but this low quality of stereo coming from surrounds applies to each and every surround audio, even playing Spotify from Chromecast.

So no idea, what to do next.

It sounds to me like a Chromecast issue. I know they recently had a problem where people couldn’t get Dolby Atmos audio from the Disney+ app on the Chromecast. You should contact Google and see what they say about it.