Answered

Beam Gen 2 and using PS5 and Switch

• 28 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hello! Today, I upgraded my Beam to gen 2. My TV is 2022 LG oled.

This means that i can now get surround sound on my switch. Great! Except, that I use PS5 and switch in the same HDMI port with a switcher, because I’m out of ports.

I read that to get surround audio on my switch I set digital sound output on my TV to PCM and HDMI input audio format to PCM.

My question is, will these same settings give me surround on PS5 or do I have to change the TV’s settings each time I change console?

Obv, not the end of the world but it would be nice if I didn’t have to switch.

Tagging in @GuitarSuperstar and anyone else who is kind enough to help me!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 March 2024, 17:35

View original

6 replies

The way that CEC functions, you should not need to make any changes to the TV set. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The way that CEC functions, you should not need to make any changes to the TV set. 

But when I set up the TV’s switch audio that carried over to the PS5’s. I assumed that this is a limitation because I’m using a switcher?

I’m not sure I understand, honestly. Too many uses of the word ‘switch’. 

You have a Nintendo Switch?

You have a PS5?

You have an HDMI switch of some type that connects these two devices to a single HDMI port on your TV?

CEC is designed to ping the device at the other end of an HDMI connection, and change its settings to match the maximum output of that device. I’m not familiar with your A/B/X switch to know if it handles CEC properly, nor do I know how often the CEC controller in your TV polls the data stream looking for changes. In a worst case scenario, you may need to unplug the TV every time you flip that HDMI switch, so the TV can poll the connection. You shouldn’t, however, need to make changes in your TV’s setting, once you’ve done them once, the CEC controller inside the TV should do that automatically. You may need to be sure the audio settings on both the Nintendo Switch and the PS5 are set properly. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m not sure I understand, honestly. Too many uses of the word ‘switch’. 

You have a Nintendo Switch?

You have a PS5?

You have an HDMI switch of some type that connects these two devices to a single HDMI port on your TV?

CEC is designed to ping the device at the other end of an HDMI connection, and change its settings to match the maximum output of that device. I’m not familiar with your A/B/X switch to know if it handles CEC properly, nor do I know how often the CEC controller in your TV polls the data stream looking for changes. In a worst case scenario, you may need to unplug the TV every time you flip that HDMI switch, so the TV can poll the connection. You shouldn’t, however, need to make changes in your TV’s setting, once you’ve done them once, the CEC controller inside the TV should do that automatically. You may need to be sure the audio settings on both the Nintendo Switch and the PS5 are set properly. 

OK, thanks. Maybe, my switcher isn’t good enough to it.

While you’re here could you do me a favour? Do you happen to know if Xbox/sonos/lg have fixed the audio delay on dolby atoms for series x? I’ve been googling and there is such mixed info on it. Not sure if I should just put Xbox to uncompromised 5.1, instead of dolby atoms. Thanks.

Since I was completely unaware of it, I have no idea. The only delay I’m familiar with in the Sonos system is the delay when grouping any other room with a home theater room, which is required for the way Sonos works.

But as far as I know, the Sonos plays what it is handed by the TV set as quickly as it can. There is no ‘perceptible’ delay. If some people are perceiving it, it may be the Xbox not passing data quickly enough to the TV set, which then needs to pass it to the Sonos. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

OK thanks for your help!