Skip to main content

Beam G1 : add 2 One SL or 2 era ?

• 28 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I consider to upgrade my Beeam G1 with two speaker. The title of my subject resume my mind. To make this upgrade, could you advice me about correct speaker ? I read Era 100 will replace Sonos One. The news are not my priority but the financial cost is it !

What do you think ?

In the future, i’ll add a subwoofer to complete my installation.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

With the added tweeter and larger woofer, the Era 100s as surrounds will give you a wider rear soundstage and more bass than the One SLs. But if money is the main factor, then the One SLs will be sufficient as surrounds with the Beam.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d lean to the 100s if you have a larger room, the SLs will work and is what I use here.

Thanks a lot. I’ve bought 2 One SL. Later, maybe the sub...

Hi guys,

Two One SL are installed. They are connected through Wifi. But my Beeam is connected in Ethernet. Must I consider to uniformize connection (only wifi or only ethernet).
Other point, when Beeam and One are configured together for TV, Is it possible to use only One to listen music ?
Finally, these speakers are installed behind me. Maybe it’s better to install them next to TV ? With some TV show speaker sound is only for music and sometimes when character speaks.
Sorry for this newbie post ^^

No need to do that, your surrounds should actually connect to your Beam on a special, unseen 5Ghz network. However, that means you should never turn off WiFi on your Beam or surrounds, no matter what connection you have to them. 

To play back music, in the surround settings for the Beam’s room, you should set music playback to ‘full’, rather than ‘ambient’ . It is not possible to play only the two surround speakers, however, you’ll always get music from all speakers, but you can adjust the relative volumes in that area of the settings. 

Surround speakers are designed to be behind the listening area, so they ‘surround’ the listener with sound. You could chose to not set them up as surrounds, however, and put them up front as another Sonos ‘room’ just for music. I do this myself, although I have a pair of Sonos PLAY:1s for surrounds with my Arc, and a pair of PLAY:5s up front, flanking the Arc for music purposes.

You can conceivably use the same pair of speakers, switching the speakers between the two ‘rooms’, but that requires new setup each time you switch them from one ‘room’ to the next, which takes time, a lot of button presses, and you lose any potential TruePlay settings applied. Many people have tried this process, and found it to be too much to do. I would not recommend this approach. 

Thanks but I should be more explicit.

I’ve created a configuration with my beeam and my 2 OneSL. In this configuration, I can’t use only my OneSL if my beeam is shut. To use them only, I must delete my configuration and create new one with pairing his 2 speakers. In fact, my beeam is not always on. I use it only to view film or video. I’d like to know if this case, I can have 2 configurations :

1. Beeam on with 2 speaker for TV
  2. Beeam off and listen music with 2 speaker

I hope that’s more accurate.

Otherwise, 2 speaker mode “ambiant” or “full” depend on the source. More video I see, my rear speaker are seldom used. But, with other video like youtube music, sound are great.