Answered

Beam 2, TV sound resets in app

• 15 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Sonos Beam Gen 2 (+Sub Mini + 2x Play 3 satellites)  + Samsung The Frame (2019)

Occasionally (once a month / 6weeks or so) the Beam drops the TV signal coming via HDMI and it will not reconnect. The main manifestation is that in the Sonos App (Android), I can select TV as the input source, the app shows "TV", it connects and I can hear audio, then a couple of seconds later, with no input from me, the app shows "no audio source" and I no audio is heard from the TV. I can hit TV as many times as you like and the same behaviour is observed. 

I have tried rebooting the entire system (the sockets are in the wall and not reachable without removing the TV so rebooting requires killing the power to the entire room from the main fuse board). There are no firmware updates for the TV, Audio output is set to PCM.

The Beam shows a solid white light but it flashes amber if I press the play/pause button.

Please help sort this one out...it's incredibly frustrating as I can't even revert to TV speakers as the TV is adamant that HDMI is available and won't allow me to select anything else for anything more than a few seconds

I almost forgot, this also happens if I plug my xbox into the TV, its fine until I disconnect the xbox then I loose sound through the Beam. In the past I didn't notice anything weird happening in the app and a system power cycle fixed it. 

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 15 November 2023, 16:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Rich21044, welcome back!

There are several threads at this moment in our Community where this issue is being discussed.

We are currently investigating an issue where the Sonos Beam (Gen2) loses the connection with Samsung TVs, but do not have an ETA to share.

Power-cycling the Sonos Beam or using the Optical Adapter are the available workarounds.

Thank you for your patience and keep an eye out on any of the above threads, including this one, for any updates.

It happened again today. So 22 days since the last occurance. I did a power cycle in the room for 30secs and it hasn't fixed it this time. Also I noticed that even if I switch to another audio source, in this case Spotify, it exhibits the same issue in that it plays 5 or 6 seconds of music and then stops, but it doesn't just pause, it resets to the beginning of the track. This leads me to believe its an app problem rather than firmware in the sonos, samsung tv or skyq box. I tried resetting my phone but it didn't seem to make a difference. The app is version 15.10, running Sonos OS S2.

UPDATE: I read through the links referred to above and tried a few of the things mentioned.  Toggling Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) in the TVs External Device Manager fixed it for me. My TV is Samsung The Frame 2019 with  software version 1406.

Sonos Beam Gen 2 (+Sub Mini + 2x Play 3 satellites)  + Samsung The Frame (2019)

Occasionally (once a month / 6weeks or so) the Beam drops the TV signal coming via HDMI and it will not reconnect. The main manifestation is that in the Sonos App (Android), I can select TV as the input source, the app shows "TV", it connects and I can hear audio, then a couple of seconds later, with no input from me, the app shows "no audio source" and I no audio is heard from the TV. I can hit TV as many times as you like and the same behaviour is observed. 

I have tried rebooting the entire system (the sockets are in the wall and not reachable without removing the TV so rebooting requires killing the power to the entire room from the main fuse board). There are no firmware updates for the TV, Audio output is set to PCM.

The Beam shows a solid white light but it flashes amber if I press the play/pause button.

Please help sort this one out...it's incredibly frustrating as I can't even revert to TV speakers as the TV is adamant that HDMI is available and won't allow me to select anything else for anything more than a few seconds

I almost forgot, this also happens if I plug my xbox into the TV, its fine until I disconnect the xbox then I loose sound through the Beam. In the past I didn't notice anything weird happening in the app and a system power cycle fixed it. 

Thank you :)

It happened again, this time toggling the anynet+ on the tv didn't fix it. In the sonos app it seems to be locked into a a feed from Spotify. I tried adding another room and then removing the room where the TV is but the Sonos App won't let me unselected it. The sonos app now seems to detect when the TV is connected properly now (I've never seen that before) I went through the helper, turned anynet+ back on and the app reported it had connected properly to the TV. I was feeling confident but sadly it didn't fix it either. I suppose.the last thing to try is the old power reset....what a complete PITA this is turning out to be.