Answered

Basic Connections and Audio output

• 7 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Recently i bought Sonos Arc and a pair of Sonos One SL for surround, i have the apple TV 2022 model and LG NANO 65”. 

Based the documents and community articles here is how i have connected these devices.

Sonos Arc → LG TV on eARC port

Apple TV → LG TV HDMI 1

Here is the challenge, I use Plex to stream my content and i have a 5.1 Dolby content

When i stream the Plex content via apple tv i see PCM on the Sonos app and not getting surround sound

When i stream the Plex content via LG tv i see Dolby 5.1 on the Sonos app and getting surround sound

So what is the right way of connecting these devices if i want to use apple TV are there any specific setting to be changed ?

Appreciate your help,

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 8 December 2022, 06:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

What specific audio format are you playing from Plex? “5.1 Dolby” isn’t very clear. If you are streaming content with a Dolby TrueHD audio track, the Apple TV 4K doesn’t support it.

The content I’m playing from Plex has EAC 5.1  and EAC3 5.1

Userlevel 7

In the TV settings, make sure the HDMI Input Audio Format setting is set to Bitstream and Digital Sound Output is set to Pass Through.

If you have the Change Format setting on the Apple TV set to OFF, you should see “Multichannel PCM 5.1” displayed in the Sonos app. If you have Change Format set to ON and the Audio Format set to Dolby Digital, you should see “Dolby Digital 5.1” displayed in the Sonos app.