Skip to main content
Question

Audio cutting out

• 10 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Good Morning, wanted some assistance in this as I’m having plenty of client including myself with an issue. I have a Sonos arc, 2 sub gen 3’s and a pair of era 300s . Arc and subs are hardwired to network. All products have been solid on this UniFi network with no issues. I have Sonos arc connected into  the HD fury arcana with its provided hdmi and a hdmi to the tv from the arcana. Finally a hdmi from the arcana to the source which is Apple TV 4K. Tv is a Sony with only arc hence why I am using a arcana to get Dolby atmos which it is. The issue I’m having is the rears are cutting in and out. Now I have client that have this same issue but they have no middle device like I do since I have an older tv. Any idea what it can be? Are other experiencing issues of audio cut out? 

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

With the Arc hardwired, you do not need to wire the Sub or surrounds. Make sure that WIFI is enabled in the Arc’s settings so that the Sub and Surrounds can connect directly to it instead of your WIFI. This is how I have my HT system set up with no connection issues.

Badge +1

I’ll try this out and get back to you if there is any change thank you 🙏🏼 

Badge +1

Just as a reference, is it detrimental in any way to have the subs connected via ethernet? I know that the arc is supposed to be connected since it is the brains of the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Long ago it was suggested to me that disconnecting the surrounds and Sub from Ethernet might help my system. Did that and it seems to have helped.

The switch called “Disable WiFi” does not actually disable WiFi, it turns the radio off, the one used for both WiFi and the hidden 5 GHz surround/Sub links.

Ethernet connection is not usually needed to any Sonos unless there are issues with the WiFi connection. The Arc may be the “brains” of the Room but it isn’t passing enough data back to your router that it needs a wired connection.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Long ago it was suggested to me that disconnecting the surrounds and Sub from Ethernet might help my system. Did that and it seems to have helped.

The switch called “Disable WiFi” does not actually disable WiFi, it turns the radio off, the one used for both WiFi and the hidden 5 GHz surround/Sub links.

Ethernet connection is not usually needed to any Sonos unless there are issues with the WiFi connection. The Arc may be the “brains” of the Room but it isn’t passing enough data back to your router that it needs a wired connection.

I do get what you are saying, but I have always had my soundbar hardwired to my network. Never had an issue. Call me old school, but if a device has an ethernet port, I prefer to have it hardwired and use my WIFI for the devices that truly need it. 

I know Sonos is marketed as a wireless audio solution, and many users have a good experience using the products in that manner. I simply have more faith in a wired connection as apposed to a wireless one.

Badge +1

Good morning community just wanted to give an update on what I found and what worked. I kept the arc hardwired but disconnected all my amps off of their ethernet connections. I have a ubiquity Internet set up one thing that I did notice is due to the app and it’s new update it has consistently wiped out the settings on my amps to have wireless. Because of this, my network thinks there’s a loop and it’s causing major issues. The minute I disconnected all those amps off the hardwire and the only thing hardwired was the arc the network stabilized in the audio stop cutting in and out. I can only imagine once the app stabilizes and doesn’t clear out my settings because it has been doing this for EQ in any kind of setting, I have set that it will no longer be an issue like it was, and I can hardwire my amps all over again. As a reference, I have four Sonos amps for different zones that are not part of, my ark sub and 300s set up in that room 

Badge +1

*Amps to have “wireless disabled” since they are hardwired

*original problem was my Era 300 rears was cutting out in my living room, soon after network started crashing like crazy