Answered

Audio Converter- Beam

• 15 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Recently bought a beam and SONOS sub mini. Unboxed and went to connect to my Girlfriends TV only to realize its a cheap TV and does not offer optical out, only RCA and SPDIF via coax.

Has anyone successfully obtained an audio converter for any sonos sound bars, to convert either the RCA or Coax out, into a converter then Optical out using the SONOS supplied optical to HDMI adaptor into the beam?

Trying to get an idea, whether using this would work? Or using a HDMI switch with an optical output. This would then mean audio out only for HDMI devices. I am in Australia where we get free to air TV so i would not get Audio out of the Beam for this as this is connected via Coax from Aerial. Thats fine as i really only want audio for movies which will be comes from an external device.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by John B 15 November 2022, 09:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

A digital coax to optical converter should be easy to find, and would provide a workable solution together with the supplied adapter.

I have assumed the coax out is digital.

RCA is going to give analog stereo out only, so would be an inferior option.

Thanks John. Coax is digital out. 

When i spoke to SONOS tech support they were of the belief it wouldn't work as the beam may not recognize the pass through.

Ill get something that’s not overly pricey or can be returned if it fails to work, until i upgrade the TV.

Thanks