Answered

Atmos Puzzle with Apple TV and Sonos Beam gen 2

• 3 February 2023
  • 5 replies

I have a Sony KD-55AG8 TV connected with my Sonos Beam Gen 2 via the HDMI Arc port. Futher more a have Apple TV 4K (gen 3) connected to my TV via HDMI. The Apple TV sees the Sony TV only as an Dolby Digital 5.1 output device. For example Netflix movies played via the Apple TV only result in Dolby Digital 5.1 sounds being played on the Sonos Beam. If a play the same move on Netflix installed on the TV it self, Dolby Atmos is detected and played as such on the Sonos Beam. 

What to do to get the apps (Netflix, Disney+, Amazone Prime, Apple TV+) on the Apple TV 4 to make use of the Atmos possibility of the Sonos Beam ?

• Place a AV Dolby Atmos Receiver in the middle (Apple TV → AV Receiver (HDMI In), AV Receiver (HDMI 4K Out) → TV, AV-Receiver (HDMI Arc) → Sonos Beam  ? 
  • Buy New TV with HDMI eArc 
  • Accept what it is..
  • Or… ? 

Would love to read your suggestions

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 February 2023, 12:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Apple TV normally sends the audio in multichannel LPCM format (which requires eARC, not ARC) for that ‘uncompressed’ audio, so TV is not able to pass-through the codec, so instead the audio has fallen back to Dolby Digital 5.1. The TV Apps on the other hand are using DD+ Atmos which is a ‘compressed’ form of the audio (and supported by ARC or eARC), so that’s why the TV in-built Apps are working for you.

In answer to your question, I would perhaps just accept what it is.

Userlevel 7

Some Sony TVs without eARC can convert the LPCM audio from the Apple TV back to Dolby Digital Plus. Make sure the Digital Audio Out setting on the TV is set to Auto 1 and Dolby Digital Plus Output is set to Dolby Digital Plus. If these settings still don’t result in Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Atmos audio, then you either need to get a TV with eARC, get a device like the HDFury Arcana, or just use the TV’s native apps.

Thank you very much for the answers. @GuitarSuperstar @Ken_Griffiths. I have tried the suggestions you gave @GuitarSuperstar. Using the settings below 

1. On the TV Digital Audio Out: Auto 1 Output of compressed audio without ajustment.
  2. On the TV Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus
  3. On Apple TV: Output structure is set to default (No Adjustment to the output)

I have rebooted the Apple TV after changing TV settings.. But the audio is only played on the Sonos Beam in Stereo PCM. 

Adjusting the output structure on Apple TV only provides output options (Stereo or  Dolby Digital 5.1)

So only  the HDFury Arcana is the only a possible Solution ?

Or might a AV Receiver with 2 HDMI out options also provide a solution in the setup

• Apple TV on the HDMI In
  • Sonos Beam on the EArc out of the AV-Receiver
  • Sony TV HDMI connected  to the HDMI Out 4K/8K on the AV receiver 

Solution will possibily be more expensive than the HDFury Arcana but might provide a beter solution for switching of multiple HDMI 4 K sources (PS5,ATV,Xbox). 

Looking forward to your reactions 

Thank you very much for the answers. @GuitarSuperstar @Ken_Griffiths. I have tried the suggestions you gave @GuitarSuperstar. Using the settings below 

1. On the TV Digital Audio Out: Auto 1 Output of compressed audio without ajustment.
  2. On the TV Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus
  3. On Apple TV: Output structure is set to default (No Adjustment to the output)

I have rebooted the Apple TV after changing TV settings.. But the audio is only played on the Sonos Beam in Stereo PCM. 

Adjusting the output structure on Apple TV only provides output options (Stereo or  Dolby Digital 5.1)

So only  the HDFury Arcana is the only a possible Solution ?

Or might a AV Receiver with 2 HDMI out options also provide a solution in the setup

• Apple TV on the HDMI In
  • Sonos Beam on the EArc out of the AV-Receiver
  • Sony TV HDMI connected  to the HDMI Out 4K/8K on the AV receiver 

Solution will possibily be more expensive than the HDFury Arcana but might provide a beter solution for switching of multiple HDMI 4 K sources (PS5,ATV,Xbox). 

Looking forward to your reactions 

A receiver likely will not work, as the audio coming from the Apple TV will need to be extracted from the video and sent direct to the Beam - there are these three extractors/splitters that some users in the community use for this type of issue, so I recommend researching and perhaps consider getting one of these to add to the setup…

HDFury Arcana

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Feintech VAX04101

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-topseller/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

OREI HDA-931 or OREI HDA-935

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-converter-4k-60hz-18g-hdmi-2-0-arc-support-hda-931

https://www.orei.com/products/dual-hdmi-earc-audio-extractor-4k-60hz-with-optical-port-3-5mm-jack-18gbps-bandwidth-hda-935

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths for the nice suggestions. They where very helpfull in solving the issue. 

Greetz,

Peter