Skip to main content
Answered

ARC reboot!

• 7 February 2022
  • 17 replies

is there a redo / reboot for ARC setup?

can I start all over since I screwed up on the original setup process and created an extra room I did not mean to?

can you delete the ARC from your system and try to set it up all over again as a brand new ARC to be added to your system?

Thank you

In what way did you create an extra room?  What setup are you trying to achieve?

I already had 3 rooms set up named

Pool

Living

Kitchen

Each with and speakers working great.

I tried to add the ARC to kitchen. I picked the room as kitchen during setup but that did not add the ARC to kitchen it created a new room called kitchen 2 and added ARC to it. So now I have 3 amps and 3 rooms and a room with the ARC

@hnsipan Go to Settings > System and post a screenshot of your System from the Sonos app so we can see your current setup.

Note that you can only have one speaker set per room.  That means a single speaker, a stereo pair or a Home theatre product with bonded surrounds. 

When the term ‘room’ is used, the meaning is in the Sonos software. Sonos actually has little knowledge about physical locations, so you can have multiple ‘rooms’ set up in the same space.

As an example, I have a 5.1 setup, as well as two other stereo pairs in the open space that is my living room/dining room/kitchen open space. So three ‘rooms’, one physical space. 

I already had 3 rooms set up named

Pool

Living

Kitchen

Each with and speakers working great.

I tried to add the ARC to kitchen. I picked the room as kitchen during setup but that did not add the ARC to kitchen it created a new room called kitchen 2 and added ARC to it. So now I have 3 amps and 3 rooms and a room with the ARC

In Sonos parlance, a “Room” can be the following:

• A single Sonos unit, with or without a Sub
  • A stereo pair of the same model, with or without a sub.
  • An Amp/soundbar with 2 surrounds, with or without a Sub.

Any other configuration requires you to have two separate rooms and dynamically group them together.

Here is the system I have

I cannot get my ARC and stereo ceiling speakers to be grouped for surround. I have not tried to add the sub yet. The kitchen is what I am struggling for set up

Pool and living with their own speakers are fine 

thank you 

You will first need to sign into your App - it’s showing the message at top of your screenshot. Check also for any App/Firmware updates via ‘Settings/System/System Updates’

Then goto ‘Settings/Kitchen2’ and choose to Add your ‘Kitchen’ (Amp) as it’s surrounds. Once it’s all bonded together, then go onto rename the room to whatever you wish to call it - such as ‘Kitchen’

Is the Kitchen Amp connected to the ceiling speakers? 

In that case you need to go to Kitchen 2 (the Arc) and add the surrounds there.

Probably because the soundbar is the master in a Sonos surround set up, the set up of a surround room indeed needs to be started from the soundbar. You can rename “Kitchen 2” to “Kitchen” once the surround set up is completed.

Yes kitchen has two sonos ceiling speakers connected to already. I did that before I had the ARC and the sub. 

So can I get rid of these rooms and the set up and start over with ARC then sub then ceiling speakers in one room? 

I assume I do not need to mess with other 2 rooms. All the got is ceiling and outdoor sonos speakers

Thank you

Just follow Ken’s direction above.

You don’t ‘get rid of’ the rooms, you just set them up for a different purpose. You’d ‘add surrounds’ in the controller for the Arc, and then it would ask you if you want to use an existing Amp. Then you would, as suggested, just rename the other room. No need to do any resets of any devices. 

Ok I will try

I guess I am confused to how to reassociate the Amp of kitchen to kitchen 2 

Same for ceiling speakers for kitchen to kitchen 2

So they are all group as surround in one room

With the ARC

As ratty suggested, go back and read Ken’s post. 

Ok I will try

With the ARC

Be careful with terminology.  In Sonos parlance, grouping is the grouping of two rooms together to play the same source.  What you want is bonding, as in bonding the surrounds to the Arc.  Grouping is dynamic and easily done on the fly, bonding requires setup and is meant to be semi-permanent.

Read this link:

Add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater

Ok I will try

With the ARC

You have to start from the Arc and bond the Amp to it as surrounds. You cannot add the Arc to the Amp.

All you have to do with the ceiling speakers is wire them to the Amp. They are not Sonos speakers.

Just follow Ken's instructions.