Skip to main content
Answered

Arc poor bass on music playback

• 13 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Have Arc, Sub gen3, and pair of Ones in home  theatre setup. During movie playback or streamed TV the sound is great. Connection is via eARC, HDMI. However streaming music via wifi it is as if there is no output from Sub. I cannot adjust phase with no discernible change. I can adjust Sub bass output from -15 to +15 with no change in bass output. I have reset, restarted, removed and reinstalled Sub. Same great bass during movie playback. Essentially no bass output for streamed music. Same music played through paired Fives has better bass, even paired Ones in another room have better bass. Amp connected to my towers and another Sub Gen3 have satisfactory bass output. What is it with Arc and music not arriving through the HDMI connection that delivers NO bass?

PS: All firmware is current

What is it with Arc and music not arriving through the HDMI connection that delivers NO bass?

Normally, SONOS fetches music directly from the source, ignoring the HDMI connection. If you are playing music via a TV App, then the HDMI will be used. Generally, I stay away from TV and cable box music Apps because the audio quality is typically very poor.

The ARC as part of system is connected to the Samsung Smart TV via the included HDMI cable to the eARC port of TV as directed in the Sonos setup. There is no cable box, Roku, AppleTV etc. When TV is turned on the Sonos system auto starts and all sound through Sonos group of Arc, Ones, Sub when using TV. The Sonos components also link to the home network via wifi through Sonos app and music can be streamed to the five rooms in which we have Sonos components. This is all separate from the TV. My music source is either CD streamed through the Sonos AMP or via AppleMusic paid version. It is only when the Components in the home theatre group (Arc, Ones x 2, Sub Gen3) are included in wifi music stream that there is no discernible output from the Sub. All other components in that group function normally. All setup was done through Sonos app. The HDMI remains physically connected to the Arc, but is not involved in the scenario I am experiencing as it is carrying no input from the TV which is switched off. 

If you suspect a fault, you should call Sonos and ask them.

SAME PROBLEM.. Almost no bass with Sub and ARC… WASTE OF MONEY

how can this be possible?  I have a sub but there is NO BASS for music.. SOUNDS AWFUL

What did Sonos Support say, when you called them?

I have not called them yet since previous calls start with “have you turned it on and back off”

Something I’d expect. It probably catches 80 percent of the issues they get called about. If I was writing a script for responses on pretty much any software device, it would likely be the number one thing on the list.