Skip to main content

Arc Is Selective About Sound Source & Remote

• 11 March 2022
  • 5 replies

If anyone has any idea what’s going on, I’d appreciate some info.  I’ve had this setup for about a year, and last week things just went downhill.

My main issue is that my system was working perfectly until last week.  I’ve always used my LG magic remote to work everything, and it’s been great.  Then suddenly it didn’t work.  Details below.

Sonos Arc+Sub+One SL (2)

LG TV - OLED77CXAUA

LG Magic Remote - LG MR20GA

App - Keeps defaulting to music played, then have to switch it in the app to TV to get sound, didn’t happen prior to 3-3-22.  Is turn on the tv, it would play sound whatever I selected.

App - Keeps saying TV isn’t connected to eArc, when it is, cables have been swapped, replaced, unplugged and plugged back in, system has been reset, and rebooted multiple times, didn’t happen prior to 3-3-22.  I turned auto play on, and for tonight it seems to have worked.

App - Spotify streaming through Sonos app, both remotes work, have to angle them high up from a distance, white light syncs with volume control, didn’t happen prior to 3-3-22.

TV’s Internal App - Netflix (for example), LG remote doesn’t work, Verizon works intermittently (no pattern or consistency), didn’t happen prior to 3-3-22.

HDMI 1 - Cable Box, Verizon remote works with Arc, didn’t happen prior to 3-3-22.

HDMI 4 - Nintendo Switch,  both remotes work with Arc, no weird angles, etc.  

Why would HDMI 4 work without issue, but internal apps, and the TV box are causing problems?

Yes.  Batteries have been changed, things unplugged, rebooted, simplinked, eArc selected on tv…I’ve scoured websites and there’s nothing I’ve found describing what I’m experiencing.

I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out.  Called Sonos who weren’t helpful at all, and quite dismissive.

Hi @AdamNo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It’s possible that a device connected to the TV is blocking CEC messages (like volume commands) going to the Arc via HDMI, or the TV is just having problems with it’s CEC network. Try rebooting your TV by unplugging it from power for a full minute - this can often clear issues like this.

Are any of your devices connected to the TV new? If so, that could be the source of the issue. Try disabling CEC on that device (some manufacturers use different names for CEC - use Google search if stuck).

I hope this helps.

No.  It doesn’t help.  None of that works.  No new devices.

@AdamNo,
I would perhaps first see what happens when you remove the devices connected to the TV’s HDMI-1, 3 and 4 and have powered off/on the TV for 3 minutes to setup the HDMI-handshake again with the Arc. Then cable back HDMI-1 and test with that and do the same with any device in ports 3 and 4. 

As you’re using the Magic remote and CEC control, also ensure Infrared is switched off in the Arc room settings and perhaps whilst there toggle off/on TV Autoplay too, for good measure. 

Ken,

I’ve tried this multiple times.  Multiple configurations.

Thanks,

Hi @AdamNo 

Perhaps you were previously using the LG Magic Remote in IR mode. Have you tried following the steps outlined on our Unable to adjust the volume using the LG Magic Remote. A firmware update on the remote may have made it revert to it’s previous configuration.

Alternatively, try disconnecting the cable box and Nintendo Switch from your TV and see if that helps the situation. If it does, you’ll need to disable CEC on one of those devices.

I hope this helps.