Answered

ARC intermittent connection loss possibly with Atmos only

Show first post

100 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hey gentlemen @Mr. T and @Ken_Griffiths.

Ran the firestick network speed test and read 95mbps and sufficient for 4K streaming. Below is a screen grab of the diagnostics from Firestick. Seems to be in good shape?

I’m still not (yet) convinced it’s a network-related issue, but perhaps see how it goes. Still good to rule out these things however. 👍

Userlevel 7

Using the in-built TV apps, do you get the same issue? Or apps on the Xbox?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths i just tried yet another hdmi cable and it cut out not even 5 minutes after starting. Not sure the timing means anything but 3 cables would be quite a coincidence. So at this point I think network may be ruled out. I’ve hard wired direct from ASUS router into the Beam and removed the switch all together. I’ve also tried changing cables and inputs into the tv. 

The strange thing is that I had this “fixed” a few weeks ago and have no idea what changed in that time. This happened right when I set up the Beam (day 1) and I changed 100 things and it worked like a charm for weeks. I know for sure I did NOT have SonosNet being utilized when it was working. My stupid a** saw a post about how SonosNet is better so I thought I would check it out. And I’m back to hell on earth but ONLY with Atmos. So strange

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Mr T Great thought!  Let me get Disney+ going through the smart tv directly and see what happens. I guess that would narrow it down to the Firestick if it works. 

Side Note: my surrounds have still not shifted back to WM:0 (still at WM:1 wireless) since my last restart but my kitchen Sonos is on WM:0?  Minor  though I suppose since my Beam is the issue.

I’ll report back after testing direct through smart tv 

Userlevel 7

If you switch SonosNet channel in the app, the surrounds should jump across. Give it 30secs or so to take effect.

You can then switch back to the SonosNet channel that it was on.

If that doesn’t work, then try rebooting the surrounds.

@Mr T Great thought!  Let me get Disney+ going through the smart tv directly and see what happens. I guess that would narrow it down to the Firestick if it works. 

Side Note: my surrounds have still not shifted back to WM:0 (still at WM:1 wireless) since my last restart but my kitchen Sonos is on WM:0?  Minor  though I suppose since my Beam is the issue.

I’ll report back after testing direct through smart tv 

I would definitely get the surrounds sorted before moving on and doing any further testing. Get all onto SonosNet WM: 0.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths  I’m back at all 0’s. Had to restart surrounds but we are back in business on that front. 

Userlevel 7

@Ken_Griffiths   A couple of other things I am trying this afternoon. I had two settings I recently changed on my LG. The first is called “Instant Game Response” which was toggled “On” for hdmi1 (fire stick). No idea if it could be the culprit but there is a warning stating “when initiated the video may blink temporarily”. So we’ll see.  The other is “HDMI Ultra HD”. It also has a warning about potential issues if device is not supported. 

I have also unplugged Ethernet from my beam and now have all devices on Wi-Fi (WM:1) effectively disabling SonosNet (it’s greyed out anyways) so we’ll see how that goes. Fingers crossed. 

Going back to this previous comment. I would certainly disable the Instant Game Response for the Fire Stick hdmi port as the Fire Stick is not a games machine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks @Mr. T  I did disable that function once I saw it was on. No dice though unfortunately with this issue.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have the same issue (the rebooting that is)! Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Quite annoying isnt it?

I have another thought @RaultTN - in the TV audio settings, if you goto ‘Sound/Sound Out’ - do you have the option to set ‘HDMI-ARC/Digital Sound Out’ to ‘Pass-Through’ - if it’s currently set to ‘Auto’, change that setting to ‘Pass-Through’ and see if that sorts the issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Morning sir.  Here are my settings throughout:

LG TV:

Sound Out: HDMI ARC

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through (other options are PCM and Auto)

HDMI Input Audio Format: HDMI 1 (Firestick): Bitstream; HDMI 2 (Beam) Bitstream

Firestick Settings:

Surround Sound Setting: Best Available (other options are PCM, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Digital Plus)

I am currently testing using the smart tv directly for atmos content (Dinsey+).  So far no cutouts but im only 5 minutes in.  It has taken as long as 20 minutes to happen so I will report back.  That would at least narrow it down to the Firestick I would presume (if it indeed does not cut out).

@ThatOneDude Hate to hear it.  Its the worst.  Does it only happen on Atmos content for you as well?  Are you using a Firestick 4K for your streaming?  

Your settings sound fine to me @RaultTN - I have the LG C9 OLED TV and also use a FireTV 4K (not the max version). I use the Fire TV Ethernet adapter too…and  I’ve not encountered any issues with the one here.

Anyhow, have you got the latest software installed for the FireTV 4K and also the latest firmware for your LG TV?

If so and the TV Apps play okay - you could perhaps try the FireTV in another HDMI port - mine is actually not linked direct to the TV, I have it plugged into a HDMI switch (with other devices) and the switch is cabled to HDMI-3.

I have ‘cable TV’ plugged into HDMI-1, Sonos Arc in HDMI-2 (set to eARC passthrough) and a Nvidia Shield in HDMI-4 and not seeing any audio interruptions.

The latest Fire TV OS version I have installed here is showing as 6.2.9.4 (NS6294/4339) If you want to perhaps check that with your Fire TV 4K. (Not sure if it varies across the globe?)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths .  So far no interruptions running straight through the Smart TV confirming that I am running Atmos.  So this leads me to believe it is something with the Firestick.  

Confirmed I have the latest Firestick and LG software/firmware installed.  I did try switching inputs of the Firestick into HDMI 3 yesterday and had the same issue.  What I have NOT yet done is swap out the HDMI cable to the Firestick itself.  Maybe knowing this is now isolated to the Firestick, maybe that cord is causing the issue.  I think we’re gettting closer ha.

May I ask what the Nvidia Shield is for?  From a quick google search is it more of a high powered streaming stick like a Firestick or Roku but more functionality?  Do you watch Atmos content through your Firestick or through your Nvidia?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes Indeed, only with Atmos Content with the Fire Stick 4K (I dont use the built in TV apps). To my knowledge everything is up to date. I had to settle for Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 and that seemed to solve the issue, until I started watching something on Apple TV+ and it did it again, I checked the app and it was indeed passing through Atmos (of some sort). Everything is fine fine until It starts playing "Atmos" Content. I too have an LG TV, from 2019, nothing special but it does have a regular ARC port. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@Ken_Griffiths  Nevermind that makes zero sense since the Firestick is its own HDMI cord haha.  Let me try another port again just to be sure

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@ThatOneDude  Sorry to hear it.  Yes mine only happens with those apps that stream Atmos as well.  Have you figured out a way to stop the firestick from using Atmos?  I wondering if I set the Firestick output to Dolby Digital if that will eliminate Atmos being pushed out?  Hate to lose the quality but my sanity may be more important ha.  Am I correct that Dolby Digital Plus brings in the Atmos functionality?  @Ken_Griffiths  Do you also know the answer to that question?  Maybe that is what I had previously changed (when it was NOT cutting out) that I have now re-introduced switching back over to “Best Aavailable” through the firestick?

Userlevel 7

Am I correct that Dolby Digital Plus brings in the Atmos functionality?  ​​​​​​

Correct - Atmos is carried over DD+, it will not work over Dolby Digital.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thank you @Ken_Griffiths  and this is confirmed I am not getting signal loss (or whatever it is) when switched to Dolby Digital.  I am currently on hold with Amazon to see what their suggestion is.  I did just buy a new 4K stick so maybe I can try that stick in case something has happened with that particular stick.  We shall see how Amazon responds...so far this young lady has no idea what Atmos is ha.  But we are getting there.  

Stay tuned!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@RaultTN @Mr. T Thank you both for your input. In the beginning I had it to "best available" in the settings menu for the fire stick 4k which was basically Atmos ofcourse, problems started to occur so I changed it to DD+ or below and that basically defaulted everything I was watching to DD+ 5.1 or below (until last night on Apple TV+ which I dont regularly use). So I then changed it (again) to just DD (on the Fire Stick 4K settings menu) and it rebooted on me Once more on Apple TV+ and that completely threw me off because it was ONLY ever happening with Atmos Content yet it happened with just regular DD. After that one instance it hasn't happened again so maybe it was a random hiccup (I hope). DD+ worked fine for me on Netflix and Disney + (basically everything else that I use) but not on Apple TV+ (App) .Yes it was passing through Atmos but it didn't with the other apps on DD+ (atleast on my end). 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So Amazon hasnt a clue.  Her last attempt was to have me transfer another firestick 4K from my upstairs tv and see if it happens...it of course did.

Something else I want to run past you @Ken_Griffiths  and @ThatOneDude .  What about the following two settings:

Match Original Frame Rate: Currently set to “Up to 12 bits”

Dynamic Range Settings: Currently set to “Always HDR”.  I just changed it to “Adaptive” so we’ll see what happens there.  

I wonder if either of these could be causing an issue?  Still strange that it is random when it happens.  I would think if either of these were an issue it would either not play all together maybe?

So back to the drawing board.  

@ThatOneDude  Dont you dare tell me it happened with DD haha.  I may lose my mind if that begins to happen.  How are you defaulting your Firestick 4K to DD+ without Atmos?  My device only has the option of DD, DD+ and then PCM.  I dont see anywhere to single out Atmos from DD+?  Or are you doing that from the Apple TV+ menu?

Thanks again guys.  Waiting for Amazon to call me back to let her know it didnt work trading out Firestick devices.  Yay

So Amazon hasnt a clue.  Her last attempt was to have me transfer another firestick 4K from my upstairs tv and see if it happens...it of course did.

Something else I want to run past you @Ken_Griffiths  and @ThatOneDude .  What about the following two settings:

Match Original Frame Rate: Currently set to “Up to 12 bits”

Dynamic Range Settings: Currently set to “Always HDR”.  I just changed it to “Adaptive” so we’ll see what happens there.  

The thing is, it could also be the LG TV and I have seen similar issues where a full reset of the TV has solved it for one or two others.. it’s just a real PITA to do, so usually the ‘last resort’ option.

My Fire TV settings are attached...

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yeah I never have much hope when I have to resort to a near smooth brained conversation with a customer support rep. About those settings, to my knowledge I dont think any of that would interfere but ya never know I suppose, interference can come from the most unlikely of places from my experience.  As for the Defaulting to DD+, I just set it to DD+ (On the Fire Stick menu, since that basically dictates what all the apps will (or should) use for audio) lol, that worked for me on everything I use, nothing went above DD+ 5.1 , The only time it differed was when I randomly kicked on Apple TV+ last night and it was Using DD+ to pass Atmos through. Maybe Apple TV+ does things a little differently? Idk tbh but Once the Sonos App tells me Atmos is whats playing then its a wrap for me and it'll do the reboot BS at some point. As of right now I have it on Regular DD and im hopeful. @RaultTN