Skip to main content
Answered

Arc Ethernet port

• 17 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Anyone else have a ‘wobbly’ Ethernet port? Tried connecting Ethernet yesterday and noticed that the port is incredibly loose. The port on the playbar was very solid and firm. This one looks very shoddy. Is this normal for the Arc? 

I’m not convinced that it is even working (need to do some more tests to confirm it is getting an IP address - initially disabling the wifi on the Arc rendered it unmanageable. So I suspect that ethernet is not getting any connection to the network at all). 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sonosjunkie 

Assuming you do mean the port is loose, and not the cable plugged into it, this isn’t normal - please get in touch with technical support (the cable shouldn’t be loose either, but that could be the cable). They’ll probably need a quick video demonstrating the state of the ethernet port, so you can save yourself some call time by recording this first (it’s also tricky to record video if you’re on the phone at the time, even if it’s not the same phone). Replacement options should swiftly follow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @Sonosjunkie 

Assuming you do mean the port is loose, and not the cable plugged into it, this isn’t normal - please get in touch with technical support (the cable shouldn’t be loose either, but that could be the cable). They’ll probably need a quick video demonstrating the state of the ethernet port, so you can save yourself some call time by recording this first (it’s also tricky to record video if you’re on the phone at the time, even if it’s not the same phone). Replacement options should swiftly follow.

Thanks Corry. Yes that’s precisely what I mean. The cable sits securely in the connection, but the RJ45 terminal itself seems to be loose within the unit - There is a fair bit of “play” so I suspect it is not actually connected to the main circuit board - hence why not registering any IP when wifi is disables. I’ll do some diagnostic on the router to confirm 100% that there’s no IP traffic over ethernet and take a video of the port as you suggested, before I contact support to discuss options. Until is working very well otherwise. Many thanks for the feedback. 

Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Just a short update to comment Sonos on excellent customer service in dealing with this one. We’re all ready to scream when things go wrong, so I’m also happy to say thanks when things are dealt with promptly and efficiently. Once the ticket was raised with support, Sonos acknowledge the issue within 48h and arranged a return. Receive the replacement within 5 days of shipping the return back to Sonos.