Answered

AppleTV+Beam(eARC)+2 Era100s: Surrounds not working for ATV Youtube or Spotify anymore all of a sudden

• 19 February 2024
  • 3 replies

My setup is a LG B2 OLED, Apple TV, a Beam connected to the TV via eARC, and 2 Era 100s connected to the Beam as surrounds in the Sonos app.

The last few months Ive had this setup, its worked great. I usually use it for watching YouTube/Netflix/Spotify through my Apple TV. However, about a week ago, my issue started happening - Now when listening to YouTube or Spotify on Apple TV, the surround speakers do not play any audio. Again, they previously did before, and I changed no settings. I used to be able to go into the Sonos app in the surround audio section and adjust how much the Era100s would play vs the Beam, now regardless of whether they are set at 0 or +15, there is still no surround sound. I can airplay directly to the Sonos system with Spotify on my phone for example, but this is not ideal - I want the Eras to work as TV speakers for Youtube, which they have done before. I can even change the volume of YouTube through Apple TV that is coming out of the beam by using the touch controls on top of the Era 100s, but there is no audio through the surrounds.

Has anyone else had this issue? It seems like there might have been an update pushed or something that ruined this functionality. I can't see myself holding onto this system anymore if there isnt a fix

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 February 2024, 10:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Unplug the Beam and Era 100s from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router. Also be sure to keep WiFi enabled on all devices in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve seen it mentioned that not all youtube content that promises surround channels actually has any audio there. You might try some known good surround sources to see if that might be your problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @NES1904 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When you play YouTube on your Apple TV, what format does the Sonos app report is being played in the Now Playing screen for the Beam? As @Stanley_4 mentions, most YouTube content is in stereo (unless it’s content that you’ve paid for, like a movie), so I would not expect you to get surround sound when playing YouTube videos. It’s possible that Apple TV used to do some up-mixing which it has now stopped doing after an update, but that is just a guess. The format reported in the Sonos app will be key to what’s happening.