Answered

Apple TV’s and Sonos Ray’s indicator lights both light up when changing volume?

• 14 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Dear Sonos community,

Let me preface by saying that I have searched this website as well as the vast space that is Google and the rest of the web to find out if anyone has had my problem. I couldn’t find anything. I keep wondering if I’m searching for the wrong thing – so if my question has been discussed already, I apologize.

My setup: I own a LG TV, an Apple TV 4K and a Sonos Ray. I use only the Siri Remote to turn on the TV and use the Apple TV, I never enter LG’s interface.

I connected the Sonos Ray through this instruction on Sonos’s site to my TV (the section which says “Optical or optical adapter”)

My problem is: When I change the volume, both the Apple TV’s and the Sonos Ray’s status light will “light up”, indicating that volume has in- or decreased. Also, on the TV there is an interface indicator which shows Plus and Minus signs, telling me if volume has de- or increased.

But sometimes, when I hold the remote wrong (or the front part is covered by my leg or something), and increase volume, only the Apple TV’s indicator will light up, I will get the TV indicator for increased volume, but volume will not actually increase. So basically, the Apple TV registers the signal, but doesn’t do anything.

Also, I noticed, when I use the LG TV Magic Remote (which I configured to work with the Apple TV in a pinch), only the Apple TV lights up and adjusts the volume. So in theory, I could just use that remote, but I like it less than the Siri Remote. And: When I turn off the IR sensor of the Ray in the Sonos app, the Apple TV will react to input and the TV will show the in-/decrease volume interface, but the volume won’t change.

So my question is: Is there a way to not make both indicator lights light up? Ideally only the Apple TV would react, and actually change the Sonos’s volume “through” the TV.

I hope my problem is clear, it’s a bit difficult to describe. I can’t imagine I’m the only one who’s annoyed by both the indicator lights blinking every time volume is changed. But as I mentioned above, I couldn’t find anything on that issue. It’d be great if you could help me out!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 December 2022, 13:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

There’s no option to switch off the IR LED on the Sonos Ray, as far as I’m aware that only exists on the Sonos Arc - so I don’t think there’s a way to achieve this currently. You would have to contact Sonos and put it forward as a feature request. I have attached a screenshot from the Arc settings to show you the setting on that device.

It’s also unavailable on the Beam too.

Anyhow it’s +1 from me too, as I would like to see the option implemented on both products, but there maybe technical reasons why Sonos cannot do this.