Answered

apple tv 4K says not available for ARC

Badge

I am trying to connect my Apple tv 4k latest generation to my VU TV already working with the sonos arc.

Using the ARC HDMI port on the TV to connect with the sonos arc soundbar and the normal hdmi port to connect apple tv with the VU TV.

Apple TV keeps saying haven’t received any response from the television.

Will the normal HDMI support this connection, or need a ARC port also for connecting apple TV to sonos soundbar.

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks

Nikhil

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 April 2024, 11:57

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

ARC means Audio Return Channel, so you need this for a homecinema receiver or soundbar, not for the Apple TV. Something else must be going wrong.

Badge

please see the snaps above.

Soundbar is connected to ARC port on TV with tv audio is playing perfectly fine on the soundbar.

Apple TV is connected to HDMI port on the same TV but audio is not routed to the soundbar, hope it’s helpful.

let me know if I can sort this.

thanks

nikhil

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nikhil_m 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I really don’t understand why your Apple TV is saying that it needs a HDMI-ARC connection - this literally makes no sense. Also, the TV should be in charge of where the audio is played, not the Apple TV. I recommend getting in touch with Apple support for assistance.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I have checked with Apple TV but to no avail.

don’t think this will work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nikhil_m 

The screenshots you posted - were those screens generated by your TV, or by your Apple TV?

Badge

Apple TV.

Regards

Nikhil.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nikhil_m 

Thanks for that info - that’s what I suspected, but I’m still puzzled by what I see there.

What happens if you tell the Apple TV to use TV Speakers (the first option in first screenshot), then tell the TV to use the connected Sonos Arc (ARC output) in it’s own settings?

I hope this helps.

Badge

I tried manually selecting that option too, but apple TV is expecting some Dolby atmos output which it is not receiving on the HDMI port.

If you have some settings which i can use let me know, will try it out.

Thanks

Nikhil.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nikhil_m 

OK, I think I have figured it out - I suspect that the Apple TV is trying to use AirPlay if you don’t select the TV Speakers, as it’s the only thing that makes any sense. Perhaps it’s wanting to receive TV audio (TV apps and broadcasted TV) via HDMI-ARC and then send via AirPlay to the speakers. This is not the way that you want this to work when using Sonos. Apple seems to expect you to be happy with stereo output unless you use their speakers (AirPlay only supports stereo audio when the output device is not manufactured by Apple).

Instead, the Apple TV should only be sending audio to the TV - the TV will send any and all audio to your Sonos Arc via its HDMI-ARC connection (no other port will work for your Sonos Arc, and TV’s generally only have one ARC port).

I think the following settings are what you want:

• Default audio output - TV Speakers
  • Audio Return Channel - disabled/off (assuming that is an option)
  • Temporary audio output - disabled/unselected

These are only guesses - if these settings do not work, or are not available, I can only suggest contacting Apple or looking on the Apple forums for answers.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Nikhil_m 

It may help to get audio from the TV working through the Arc first, and when that works, try with the Apple TV.

Badge

That works fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Nikhil_m 

Then that indicates that the Arc is working as expected, and that the TV settings are (probably) correct.

As far as I can tell, therefore, the settings I listed above should work. If they don’t, I really don’t know what will, but Apple should - just make it clear to them that you do not want to use AirPlay.

Does your TV support eARC? If so, the setting should be enabled on the TV. If not, I suspect you will need to tell the Apple TV to only output Dolby Digital 5.1, as Apple TVs will output formats that require eARC otherwise (Atmos (MAT) and Multichannel LPCM).

I hope this helps.

Badge

TV supports only ARC

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Nikhil_m

In that case, you will want to restrict Apple TV’s audio output format to Dolby Digital 5.1: “Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format and turn on Change Format. From here, you can choose the following: Dolby Digital 5.1”.

I hope this helps.

Badge

I tried this also but still no audio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nikhil_m 

Does the Now Playing screen for the Arc in the Sonos app indicate anything at all when you should be getting Apple TV audio? If not, we’ve exhausted the advice I can give you.

I really do recommend that you contact Apple at this point - I have been given no training on Apple TV devices, and have never owned one. Please just be sure that they won’t try to get it working via AirPlay - don’t let them connect the Apple TV to the HDMI-ARC port on your TV!

One last thought - have you tried rebooting the Apple TV? If not, please do so.

I hope they are able to help you.

Badge

Lemme double check the app. Will update you by tomorrow 

I have rebooted Apple TV multiple times.

thanks

Nikhil 

Badge

I was able to make it work, thank you for all the excellent suggestions it really helped.

may god bless u 😊

regards

nikhil