Answered

AORUS FO48U, apple TV 4k (2021), and sonos beam trouble

• 27 November 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello! I am completely stumped by issues with getting my sonos beam to be the default speaker when I stream content through my apple TV 4k. I feel like I am going crazy and I definitely think I am overthinking the solution but I would be very grateful for any input! I guess this is more challenging due to the AORUS FO48U being a monitor rather than a TV.

The Tech I have available:

AOURUS FO48U, apple TV 4k, Sonos beam gen 2, Skycrop HDMI switch extractor

The challenges:

• AORUS FO48U has an integrated soundbar which the apple TV 4k auto selects (I have it muted the integrated soundbar but not disabled it not sure it can be disabled)
  • The sonos soundbar is able to be selected via airplay and used temporarily
  • AORUS FO48U does not have an HMDI ARC or eARC port or optical out port

The Goal:

• To have the apple TV recognize the Sonos soundbar as the default soundbar

Current Set Up:

• I have used a HDMI Switch Audio Extractor (that has optical out and HDMI arc port) but plugging the soundbar into either the optical out or HDMI arc port does not seem to work.

Combinations I have tried so far:

• Sonos + apple TV into the HDMI switch audio extractor then feeding to TV Via HDMI
  • Sonos into HDMI switch audio extractor with the apple TV fed independently of the HDMI switch audio extractor

Solutions I have not yet tried:

• I have a HDMI to displayport cable that I could try using
icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 November 2022, 11:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @confusedmaze 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I think you’re going about it the right way - the monitor doesn’t seem willing to be part of the process. In the monitor’s settings, are you able to disable CEC? It might help if you can.

It seems, however, that your issue is with the “Skycrop HDMI switch extractor” - if they have a support forum I do recommend that you try for help there too, if you haven’t already. From what I can tell, it should work. But, as you’re getting no audio either via HDMI-ARC or Optical, it seems the switch isn’t doing what we both expect it to do from the description. What audio formats does the switch support, and are you supplying it with suitable audio tracks?

Using such HDMI splitters/ audio extractors is unsupported by Sonos - but that doesn’t mean it won’t work.

I hope this helps.