Answered

Amp doesn’t work as surround to existing setup

• 6 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Hey all - I have an Arc and a Sub connected to my TV (also as a stand-alone room in the Sonos app). In addition, I have an Amp connected to two in-wall speakers. I can setup the Amp as a second room and it works great, however I’d like to add them all as a single system. I can play Spotify through both rooms at the same time and that works but really I want to be able to play music and the TV through all of them as one. I’ve tried adding them as surround but no sound comes out when I do that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 November 2022, 23:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Are any of the devices wired? Is the Amp located in the same physical room as the Arc? Does the issue happen with both ‘TV’ and ‘Music’ audio too?

If you have the Arc or Amp wired to the LAN, then ensure you have not switched off their WiFi adapters.

Generally speaking, you should be following the instructions in the setting up Amp or CONNECT:AMP as surround speakers FAQ.

There’s a caveat, though. Both the rec and the Amp need to be running S2.

However, it may be that you’re able to set them up as surrounds…your post is unclear whether you’re having setup issues or just sound issues. 

In order for sound to come out of the surrounds, the source you’re watching on the TV must be in Dolby Digital or above. If you’re trying something like YouTube, it only plays in stereo. Pick a recent movie, like the Star Wars, or Jurassic park, where they make aggressive use of the surrounds. In some ‘calmer’ movies, you’ll get things like faint road noise, or birds tweeting, etc, out of the surrounds.