Skip to main content
Answered

Alexa confused by Kindle Fire

• 23 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi

Another bizarre, confusing issue with Sonos Arc connectivity to Alexa.

Arc stopped responding to voice commands, even though set up correctly, skills enabled in Alexa app etc. I think it’s a conflict between the Arc and my Kindle Fire HD. Ie, the voice command is only heard thru the Kindle, not the Arc. If I disable the skill on the Alexa app on the Kindle, it reiterates that status, disabled etc. (Ie thru the Kindle)

If the Kindle is off, no sound thru either Arc or Kindle and no response to voice command.

What’s weird:

1. This has only occurred in last few days. Kindle has been on and in same room as Arc for months, without this glitch?

2. When I checked Alexa app on Kindle, it initially didn’t recognise any devices anyway. Now it does.

3. Alexa app was running happily on iPhone alongside Arc. Suggests that it’s only conflicting with the Kindle?

4. I’ve noticed the Alexa app lists the Arc (“living room”) and TV (“living room TV”. Is that right? I’ve tried disabling and re enabling but no cigar,

This is v perplexing annoying. I appreciate it may be more of an Amazon issue but reaching out here in the first instance.

Many thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Steve Stacey 

Thanks for your post!

I’m not entirely sure that I understand everything you are saying, but, as far as I am aware, two Alexa-enabled devices that both hear your voice will compare volumes and milliseconds to determine which heard you first and best, and only that device will respond. Of course, that does not explain the behaviour when Kindle is off. One important point is the microphone light - if Alexa stops running on the Arc, the light will go off (unless Sonos Voice Control is also installed on Arc - it might be an idea to temporarily uninstall it if it is).

If the Kindle is off, no sound thru either Arc or Kindle and no response to voice command.

You get no TV audio from Arc when your Kindle is off? Or do you just mean no notification sound to indicate that Alexa is listening?

My current best theory is that some account tokens that get exchanged between the devices have been corrupted.

If removing the Sonos skill from Alexa and adding it again doesn’t resolve the issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team to get Alexa working on your Arc again. If the Kindle interferes with that once more, I’d definitely then recommend you contact Amazon - as they make both Alexa and the Kindle, they should be able to figure it out.

I hope this helps.

Badge +2

Hi @Steve Stacey 

Thanks for your post!

I’m not entirely sure that I understand everything you are saying, but, as far as I am aware, two Alexa-enabled devices that both hear your voice will compare volumes and milliseconds to determine which heard you first and best, and only that device will respond. Of course, that does not explain the behaviour when Kindle is off. One important point is the microphone light - if Alexa stops running on the Arc, the light will go off (unless Sonos Voice Control is also installed on Arc - it might be an idea to temporarily uninstall it if it is).

You get no TV audio from Arc when your Kindle is off? Or do you just mean no notification sound to indicate that Alexa is listening?

My current best theory is that some account tokens that get exchanged between the devices have been corrupted.

If removing the Sonos skill from Alexa and adding it again doesn’t resolve the issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team to get Alexa working on your Arc again. If the Kindle interferes with that once more, I’d definitely then recommend you contact Amazon - as they make both Alexa and the Kindle, they should be able to figure it out.

I hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for constructive response. Apologies for lack of clarity earlier. Gist is we have been unable to use Alexa to turn Sonos/TV in and off for the last few day (as per last few months). Either we can only turn Sonos/TV on with voice command if Kindle Fire HD is on. In that scenario the Alexa response comes thru the Kindle. 

Hope that helps.

I’ll now reach out to technical support.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Steve Stacey 

Either we can only turn Sonos/TV on with voice command if Kindle Fire HD is on. In that scenario the Alexa response comes thru the Kindle. 

I’m not sure of what to make of that, to be honest. It’s pretty weird.

I hope the team can help.

Badge +2

Just to clarify. Either we only get Alexa response via Kindle, or nothing at all when Kindle off.

Thanks

Badge +2

Update 

Fixed it now. Checked Sonos app and Alexa needed to be re enabled.

God knows how or why the Kindle confused things.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Steve Stacey 

Hey wow - good stuff! Thanks for updating the thread.

I’ll flag this with a colleague - if it’s repeatable, we’ll need to do something about it.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!