Skip to main content

Advice on connecting Arc to an existing 2xFives + Sub room

• 20 December 2023
  • 2 replies

In my living room, which is much longer than it is wide, I have an existing audio-only setup consisting of a pair of Fives and a Sub.  It sounds fantastic - the Fives are wall mounted on one of the short walls so they project sound across the full length of the room.

Now I want to add a TV with an Arc  to this room.  The only location that works for my living room is to put the TB+arc on one of the long walls, so the fives will be on the wall to the left of the viewer.

I will of course want to have my Sub as part of the home theater setup.  Based on extensive discussions in other threads,

I have already understood the fact that I can’t share the Sub with two different “rooms” - one home theatre room and one audio-only stereo room, which would be the obvious solution but it is what it is.  I’m certainly not going to buy another sub, so I need to come up with another approach.

If I configure the Arc as the center channel with the Fives as the rear surround channel, then will I be happy?  Will it be unacceptably weird to have the rear speakers be on the wall to the left of, instead of behind, the viewer?  I already know that it won’t be an ideal home theater experience but I have aesthetic constraints that are hard to explain in text.

My bigger concern is the audio-only music experience…  If I’m just playing music, is the Arc going to be silent?  Or will it behave like another speaker, and if so, how will I adjust the volume of the Arc relative to the Fives?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You’d end up with a pretty unacceptable compromise for either TV or music. 

For TV surround duties the Fives would, as you say, both be on one side which is all wrong.

For music listening down the length of the room the Arc off to one side would totally mess up the soundstage. It can’t be muted independent of the surrounds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Either skip using surrounds or get a dedicated set, of your choice, that can be properly positioned.

Try moving your Sub back and forth, decide where you like it best or if you need two.