Adding Sub Mini to AMP with B&W 607 Speakers

• 27 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of reviews about the Sonos Sub Mini, every interview have tested the Sub Mini with a soundbar and mainly with one of Sonos' own soundbars (Arc, Beam, Ray). I have Sonos AMP with two bookshelfspeakers (B&W 607) for my TV in a medium sized livingroom. Im wondering if anyone have tried the sub mini in a similar setup and if it works well with that type of setup? Or if anyone have any thoughts on this?

2 replies

I don’t have the same/similar setup, but I do have two Sub-Mini’s (one is setup with Ray/Surrounds and the other is used with a Beam) I personally think they are great value and sound great for their size, hence that’s why I purchased a second one. They really hold-up well against the larger Sub Gen 3 too. I have no hesitation in recommending, either Sub, but the Sub-Mini certainly has a lovely warm tone to it.

Note too that if you were to buy direct from Sonos, that they do offer a 45 day no-quibble money back guarantee, so if you’re not happy with it, you can always return it anyway.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/terms#legal-terms-sale-returns

Hope that helps.

Badge

Hello

I recently bought a Sonos Sub Mini, and returned it.  I’ll explain why, with some context.

I have the Sonos Gen 2 Amp, which I use with a pair of 22 year old stand mounted KEF Coda 70s, in a medium-sized living room (https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kef/coda-70.shtml)

The set up is used for music, & TV via HDMI ARC.

I listen to Hi Res (48 kHz/24-bit) when playing Apple Music via the connected Apple TV (you need to enable this on the Apple TV settings).

To my ears, it sounds fantastic.  (EQ = Bass +1; Treble +1; Loudness Off).

I highly recommend this product.  Much richer & more detailed sound & convenience, than my previous amps from both Pioneer & Denon.

However, when compared with my amazing Sonos Play 5 (Gen 2) in a large kitchen - the sub bass delivered by the KEFs is simply not as rich.  The Play 5 is like a magic box - I really don’t see how such a compact-ish device can go so deep…  Also, it is understandable that my KEFs don’t go into sub bass territory.

I bought a Sonos Sub Mini to see if I could achieve better sub bass, via a 2.1 system.

In brief, there was next to no material difference, unless I cranked up the sub’s volume, and created too much booming…

There simply wasn’t enough of a ‘gap’ between the KEFs & the Sub Mini.

Other comments re the Sub Mini

POSITIVES

• Reasonably Compact
  • Easy to Set Up & integrated to Sonos.  I can’t imagine any 3rd party sub would integrate half as easily.  I expect it will be almost effortless with Trueplay - though that’s not avail on the Amp.
  • I expect it will make a material difference to sound bars, ERA 100s, Sonos 1s etc.

CONSIDERATIONS

• The black model is very prone to showing hand prints.  Surely, Sonos can do better here?
  • It looks far too much like a bin for my liking.
  • Every time it was unplugged, it needed to be factory re-set to re-install.
  • Not worth it for bigger stereo speakers like my KEFs.

FINAL THOUGHTS

• I’d consider the Sub 4 (when it comes out)
  • What’s holding me back?  I am not keen on the look & size of the current Sub 3.  Also, I’m hoping Sonos finally introduce some of the Mayht technology they bought a couple of years ago.  It could make for a more compact Sub 4… hopefully, not looking like a bin.

I hope you found this useful.